Favorite head/shoulders portrait lens?

mark45831

Don't do many portraits anymore, but when I did, the 85 and 105 primes were excellent. Still have the lenses and a modern equivalent. Will need to revisit the genre. A lot of it is about comfort of the subject and photographer in re: working distance. That factor varies considerably across societies.
  • Like 1

I have a Nikkor 85/1.8 pre-AI that I like for head shots, but must admit that it is so much easier to use eye-tracking AF with my Z6II + 24-70/4 (@70) that I will probably never use the 85 again for that purpose.

The 24-70/4S is probably a bit too clinical for head shots but convenience wins - and I don't do it that often anyway.

Niels

I am enjoying eye focus with a 105/1.4G and Z system for this application. But, there a a number of great choices in the Nikon system. The 85/1.8G may be the best AF bang for buck lens for this application.

I have had better AF accuracy results with the 105/2DC vs the 135DC (sold), but my 105DC is looking a little softer at 45MP, not that you need that much MP for portraits. The 105/2.5 gauss and 105/1.8 AIS do well stopped down just a tad. I have not tried my older 85/1.8 manual focus in a while, but I liked it a lot on film. 135/2.8 and 180/2.8 lenses are good choices, also. I would not choose my 105/2.8AFS micro for portraits, given the choice.

It's distance, not focal length, that matters for perspective. For a typical head and shoulders I'd want maybe my 105, but it's not AF, so I'd probably go with 70. Any problems with "too sharp" or a desire for some flare can easily be dealt with in post. Last one I did was with the 24-70/4S. ESIF says I was set to 47mm but my distance was a bit greater than the usual head and shoulder shot as I needed some surrounding environmental stuff in the shot.
  • Like 1

I haven't done much portraiture in the last few years. I always enjoyed the Ai 105/2.5 for the task - but accurately manual focusing that lens on a DSLR isn't easy for me. I quite liked both the AF-D 80-200/2.8 and the 70-200/2.8 VR for the task (none of which I own anymore). I used the AF-D 85/1.8 and the AF-S 85/1.8 occasionally - didn't like either and traded for the Tamron 90/2.8 (which I haven't tried for portraits yet). My goto for some time had been the original Sigma 150/2.8, now replaced by the OS version; the lack of CA and the quality of the OOF rendering are the main factors when using either Sigma lens. I mostly do portraiture outdoors, so the working distance is not an issue. On occasion, I use the 300/4 PF - especially for candid shots.

On 35mm I preferred my Nikkor-P 105mm f/2.5 pre AI. I actually had it AI'd by John White. Works great on my digital APS cameras, but a bit long on that size sensor. I often use a 50mm when shooting prime.

I, too, had my 105 f2.5, which I bought for use on my FTn, AI'ed by John White for use on my F100 and now on my D750. He does an outstanding job.

• Like 2

Whats your favorite head/shoulder portrait lens in either F or Z mount and why?

How much studio space do you got?

Mostly the practicality of the situation dictates the lens.

105mm is nice, but in a small domestic room your back will be pressed against a wall (or further) . So 85mm is maybe more comfortable to work with. Or 50mm in a room crammed with furniture.

And with 'standard' zoom lenses being so good these days, I tend to just step back to whatever's a comfortable distance and zoom to fill the frame. Or nearly - it's good to leave a little cropping space or some scene-setting background.

• Like 1

Probably my most used for portraits is the 105VR.

Easy to use, sharp, good AF, very versatile lens. Probably not for connoisseurs but the one that works for me.

In the closet I have 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8, other 105mm versions... etc., AF and manual focus. I always take the 105VR.

How much studio space do you got?

Mostly the practicality of the situation dictates the lens.

105mm is nice, but in a small domestic room your back will be pressed against a wall (or further) . So 85mm is maybe more comfortable to work with. Or 50mm in a room crammed with furniture.

And with 'standard' zoom lenses being so good these days, I tend to just step back to whatever's a comfortable distance and zoom to fill the frame. Or nearly - it's good to leave a little cropping space or some scene-setting background.

Im just curious what others like to use, I also like the 105 -P pre Ai-s and the Ai-s, along with the Zeiss 85mm 1.4 and Nikon 85mm 1.4D and the Z mounts