favorite frame website?

I want to start printing and framing my images again. I recall, in the 'old days', if you made your own (kit form) it was quite reasonable - compared to sending the image to a framer. I've just spent the better part of the day searching for such a place - but the prices are really expensive for a large frame (I'm looking to purchase 30"x24" frames). I'll probably cut my own mat, coreboard, and glass so I only really need the frame itself. I even considered making wooden frames - but I do not have the space to get into that - and also, I'm quite talent-less when it comes to hand tools. I also went to some sites that offered to frame your photo (download the image) but I could not figure out if they just sold a frame - separately (I have my own printer). I sent an inquiry, but so far, no response. My guess they have limited employees at this time. So, rather than chase my tail any longer, I thought I would check the folks here to see if they have a favorite source for frames (narrow metal or wood). Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have no vested interest in Frame Destination, but that's where I have been getting most of my frames for a few years. They have a good selection, their prices are good, and their customer service is excellent. In addition, unlike the vendor I used before, they will ship glass rather than only acrylic in the sizes I print, and I much prefer glass.

If you use only acid-free materials (I do), they have a line of acid-free mat board called Crescent that I think might be their store brand. It's high-quality and cheaper than the alternatives. That's become my standard mat board.

I have a mat cutter, but I let them cut the mat and the foam core backing board. The prices are reasonable, and it's a lot easier. Their online interface makes it trivially easy to size the mat--you simply specify the art dimensions, the overlap you want (positive or negative), and the border size, and it calculates the dimensions for all the components. If I reuse the frame, I cut a new mat myself.

Again, I have no connection with them. I'm just commenting on my positive experiences with them.

• Like 1

If a frame arrives as a kit - basically 4 strips of wood - I see no real advantage over making a frame from scratch. More than half the job is jigging together the cut pieces and gluing/pinning them together. IME that's not an easy task without the aid of a clamp set or vise.

Cutting the mitres is quite easy with a mitre block and small coping saw. That part takes a matter of seconds to cut each mitre. Putting it all together afterwards is the tricky bit.

• Like 1

I use metal frames, so gluing is not an issue, but cutting the edges would be a bit harder to do smoothly.

Frame destination sends frames assembled, but with the mat board upside down (assuming you order the frame with mat board, which isn't required). You have to remove the spring clips, remove one end (two screws), and then slide out the backing board and mat. After mounting the art, you just slide the board, art, and mat back in, reattach the removed end, and reinsert the clips. The only part that takes any real care you have to do regardless: mounting the art, which can be a real pain if you want a negative overlap. It's much easier, IMHO, then cutting the glass, cutting the frame, etc.

This isn't specific to that company. I have also purchased frames from another online vendor, and their system was similar.

• Like 1