Favorite filter for classic (or near classic gear)

<p>Do you have a filter type (black & white or for color) that you use with your classic gear more than any other? In recent years I've found that for black & white I reach for a deep yellow filter more often than any other type. For color, I usually don't use a filter at all (except for a UV haze from time to time.</p>

<div>00XZIc-295027684.jpg.cdea92be80c0987782d7d0835c480ab7.jpg</div>

<p>I don't shoot b&w very often, but when I do, I definitely use a Y2 filter. For colour, although I use a polarizer often, I also use ND filters a lot for waterfall shots. I have ND filters in a variety of sizes so that I can use them with different cameras and lenses. I also have a Cokin A mounted graduated ND filter for sunrise and sunset shots.</p>

<p>I don't shoot much B&W any more, but I like the yellow filters, primarily to show the clouds. For color film, I have a UV or skylight on a lot of my lenses to protect the lenses, but I also think that a polarizer is almost always beneficial. Same for lens shades. I am moderately color blind, which kept me out of pilot training. I am fairly good with basic colors, not with pastels, and the best way I can describe it is that I can't tell a caution light from a red light except by position. Made for some exciting times in my youth when some intersections had only blinking lights with no lettering, because you are damned either way.</p>

<p>I shot a lot of B&W while in Vietnam, because processing was locally available and quite good. My favorited film was Plus-x and a midium yellow filter was permanently attached to my Konica, and since the CdS cell was in the lens barrel, the exposure was automatically corrected. Plus to western eyes, everything we saw was exotic. I would photograph people close up and they seemed to love it, whereas most of us in the US would think, probably rightfully so, that our privacy was being invaded.</p>

<p>In the early days of digital, I would visit camera shops and many of them had junk boxes filled with filters of all sizes and colors that they were virtually giving away. Probably my most complete set of filters for any given camera model are dozen of filters for the Retina series. I think they were 32mm.</p>

<p>Polarizer for me, invaluable in our harsh Antipodean light. I have them in most of the sizes one encounters in older SLR's, but it's sometimes difficult with the old rangefinders. In B/W, deep yellow for landscape, red for that special sky. A UV filter is a stock fitting if nothing else is in use, as much for protection as anything. Polarizers are great for skies, <strong>Mark</strong>, as they tend to maintain the original tonal balance while still darkening the sky.</p>

<p>My favourite filter for B&W landscape must be a yellow-green. I only have one yellow-green filter in 52mm diameter. In the summertime I use a lot of polarizer with my SLR cameras and all kinds of ND filters with my rangefinders. One filter I would like to have is the rare Minolta Autopol polarizer for Bay-1 TLR cameras.</p>

<p>Can't say I have a favorite, I just use whatever I think the scene needs. That said, since I don't have the Canon Series VII auto-up for my Canon 7 rangefinder, I have been working with a Canon 250D closeup filter (48mm) on the 50mm f/1.4 lens with surprisingly good results.</p>