Favorite current street togs?

andylynn

This seems to be becoming a cliche, but: I'm seeing an overwhelming amount of terrible street photography out there, and the signal to noise ratio on social media is poor. Now I'm not claiming to be anything special - I've tried, but I can only think of two street shots I've made that I actually like. But I'd like to branch out a bit in terms of what I'm looking at.

Who's your favorite street photographer who's currently active, and do you have any sites or feeds I should be watching?

I took a friend to the hospital for a procedure, as they call it.

As I was getting dressed, I wondered if my jeans would be too informal.

I wore my jeans, as it happened, and the only (I mean this literally) people who were not wearing jeans were the staff/nurses/ and such.

Both genders too.

However, in memory of my childhood, I had rolled cuffs, and I was the only one doing that.

"togs", indeed, at least use an apostrophe: thusly 'togs ;)

Edited by JDMvW
  • Like 1

They're all flaneurs anyway.

Dam' that's a word I haven't heard in years! Not sure its true - I suppose it's a little like my bug photos. I go out most days in good weather, but only get my best shots when the light is fine and the bugs are present. Not sure many can make a successful living off street - just the gifted few. Fortunately no intent on my part to make a living off insect photos!

I'll daydream about becoming a professional noncommercial photographer and taking pictures that matter. But then I think about the months or years it can take to negotiate access to a story and build relationships with its principals, the months or years to cull, sequence, print, and publish the photographs, all the money I'll owe after all that toil and trouble... Flaneur it is!

. . . I'm seeing an overwhelming amount of terrible street photography out there . . . do you have any sites or feeds I should be watching?

I've been following Brad Evans' work since around 2006 (located in San Francisco).

He is a member here. LINK TO WEBSITE

I particularly like how he used (uses) a fast 35mm lens on FF Camera.

Have a look at his work.

WW

• Like 1

Two that I would recommend looking at are:

Martin Parr (not everyone's cup of tea, but I find his a unique flavor and socially relevant).

I especially like Parr's beach photos: LINK HERE

Here's his website: LINK HERE

AND

William Eggleston (a lot of his stuff could fall into the street category): LINK HERE

And here are two sites that feature contemporary street photographers (not necessarily an endorsement of all photographers shown): LINK ONE and LINK TWO

• Like 1
There’s always something new under the sun.

There are many really good street photographers out there and a good percentage of them are not American. European shooters and many from India seem to be doing the most interesting current work in my opinion. There are also women street shooters that are getting some respect in what has traditionally been a male dominated genre. Check out the work of Linda Wisdom and you may see my point.