Favorite Contax SLR Camera Body

stwrtertbsratbs5

The RX - I sold a Nikon F80 to get it (af isn't everything) Although the ST has a higher shutter speed, the RX has a better built body (ST ain't got that magnesium chassis apparently) and you get exposure lock with spot metering AND average. The DFI focus assist is very usefull... but it's effectiveness can depend on the amount of dust hanging around the prism etc: i got my RX cleaned and ajusted.. and found the DFI feature to be more responsive. The rest of the camera has just about everything a pro might need.. from exposure bracketing and exposure-comp in 3rd of a stop increments to the various custom functions (rewind settings etc). It has been my workhorse for three years now and simply does't fail. Have dropped it a few times from chest height with no problem except the prism lept out of its cradle (understandable)

The Aria is made with similar materials to the NIKON f80 (EXPENSIVE PLASTIC) but is very quiet (even more than the RX)

The S2 or S2b has a noisy mechanical shutter.

The AX is similar in build to the RX - but larger with the "body-focussing system" . You get better flash options (as RTS3?) and the unparalleled luxury of AF macro with amost every lens in the RTS line-up

The N1 is underrated as a camera - excellent pro-build - the lenses are limited but I find them to be exceptional and probably better than many of the 1970's RTS lenses. The superwide zoom is very sharp and ...totally distortion-free

I use the RX, Aria and S2. I love them all and use all as equally as I can. The RX I would say is my favorite since it has the Digital Focus Indicator. The DFI is more accurate than my eyes. It is a hefty camera but when I first held this camera it was as if it was made for my hand. It is simply a splended tool for photography. The RX's viewfinder is not as bright as the Aria or the S2. The Aria is also a splended camera it is quieter than the RX but the RX is pretty quiet. I like the Aria because it weighs a lot less than the RX and is good when you don't want to be weighed down with too much weight, especially during summer. I think the S2 is also quite fine as it exhudes quality and is a classic camera with a classic build. So I guess I gave away my preferences: The RX first, The Aria second and the S2 third -- but it's awfully close. I love'm all.

A little more info on my equipment and experiences:

I had an N1 with the 24-85 zoom, but sold it after I purchased a Contax IIIa rangefinder. I found that the N1 is almost as heavy as some medium format cameras! The zoom was decent, but not as good as prime lenses, IMHO.

The IIIa rangefinder photos were sharper than the N1 and had great contrast. Just a stunning system. But it does have limitations: the 135mm lense is a bit difficult to focus, it isn't a fast camera to use, and telephoto lenses are limited to 135mm (without an expensive, and rare, housing), and it isn't easy to focus in low light.

I also have a Contaflex Super B. It is also really nice, but limited on both the wide and telephoto ends.

What to do? Well, at some point I will probably add a Contax CY mount SLR to the mix. I can't bear the thought of using non-Zeiss lenses - I'm a reformed Nikon user.

Thanks for the great insights. It does sound as if the RX goes on the short list. Does the DFI also work well in low light?

I can't say enough about my Aria, but as usual, it depends on what you personally value in a camera body. For me, the combination of small (but not too small), light (but not too light!), quiet, smooth, right amount of automation, metering options that tell you what it is thinking, and my favorite of all - an INCREDIBLE viewfinder that is big, bright, and clear like nothing I have ever used, all these features added up to the perfect SLR for my needs. Don't go on other people's opinions about a camera body without evaluating the reasons WHY they like it and matching those reasons with your needs. Of course, that is not to say that the other bodies recommended are wonderful, they have their strengths too. But if you thought the N1 was too heavy, do you want another full sized pro-body?

Del - The N1 with a zoom lense was too heavy for long treks. The handling was fine. I now use my rangefinder as a walking about camera. It's not the best for capturing my kids when they are in motion, though. Particularly at a soccer game! I really parted with the N1 because the original reason for buying into the N mount - the possibility of future DSLR's, is dead. The lack of fast primes lenses was another reason. Plus, I've decided that I really do love film.

Thanks for providing the reasons why you like your Aria. I'll add that to my short list, too. Besides, is one camera body ever enough?

>The Aria is made with similar materials to the NIKON f80 (EXPENSIVE PLASTIC)

For polycarbonate shells, they cannot be more different. The F80 feels cheap and flimsy, the Contax does not. The Aria has great crafsmanshhip and is well constructed, with metal key components (e.g. lens mount, mirror box). The outer shell is fibre glass reinforced polycarbonate. I'm a metal-holic and this is the only non-metal serious camera that I own.

I agree with what Del says, but I'd rather have the 1/250 flash sync of the 159MM than integrated motor. Kyocera obviously reserves the high sync speeds to top-of-the-line models.

This is true. the DFI on the RX is, essentially, the electronics of an AF system without a motor to move the lens. This means that any limitations of an AF system, such as low light performance, can also apply to the DFI.

It is merely a 'confirmation' for manual focus AND DOF rather than the primary focusing system.

Plastic or polycarbonate- both can shatter if you drop them. The Aria is small, light and quiet but you would be better getting a used RX for less money _some RXs go for around 300pounds which is an absolute bargain!.

Yes the RX is comparatively heavy compared to the Aria... but has anyone hefted a Leica SLR? I was considering the R-system but I went into shop and tried the R4 and R5 - far too heavy- nearly double the weight of the RX surely (the R8 is too heavy as well). The RX is so well designed and well-balanced.. (check the rubber cladding!!) I have just been out with the thing for sunset over the fens-- its the ideal robust and fast-to-use camera....

check out my other posts on the Contax RX and Contax system

If you want the cheapest RXs .. Look them up on Ebay It is also worth considering the Yashica FR or FR1 - The FR (the manual exposure body) is reputed to be almost exactly the same as the RTS and RTSII on the inside apart from shutter material.. I had one for months.. very robust, big old metal thing (FR) with bright viewfinder with LEDs etc..

check out http://www.cdegroot.com/cgi-bin/photowiki/YashicaBodies

and the rest of the web for reviews etc

Aria, are definitelky the better body IMHO. I don't think the metal body is that much more desirable. By all means, you are not suppose to bang or crash your camera around right !!

And the Aria got the best metering among all Contax SLR, especially when using Matrix Metering on A mode. Pair it with light weight lens and you can have a wonderful strolling/travelling/trekking setup ( say the 25 Distagon, the 45 Tessar & the 85 Sonnar )

Wow! Lots of great responses! This is going to be a difficult choice.

I'm not put off by polycarbonate shells, as long as the camera is well-built and well-designed. And the light weight is a plus. On the other hand, the RX sounds like a superb camera, too. How can I miss when there are so many good choices?

You know, Robert, I think that your last comment sums up a lot of the decisions we fret over so much here on PN. Most equipment is just plain very good, and very rarely can a choice of equipment actually be "bad" these days. Of course, some tools will work just a bit better than others in certain situations, but for the most part we could all get by with much "less" than we have. I know that the limitations in my pictures are VERY rarely my equipment, but I'm guilty like everyone else. So relax, have fun, pick what YOU want and enjoy it, because it will work fine.

I currently have three older bodies: An RTS, the 139q and the 159mm. While I like using a winder as well, I really like small and light bodies despite my large hands. The Aria is just too expensive over here in Europe, so I went first with the 139q (which I got at a bargain price) and later the 159mm. The latter is everything I hoped for, with the exception of having a coupled metering/shutter release button. A great, light although solid camera to use. Although a bit too light for my 80-200/2.8, where I prefer using it with either the 139 Winder or better pairing the lens with the heavy RTS body.

<p>

The RTS is nice, indeed, but just too heavy compared with the 139q and 159mm. And the 139q is missing the faster shutter speed, but otherwise almost as nice as the 159mm. I also tried the 167mt, which I found too heavy plus I do not like the LCD readout, and once looked at the RX, AX and RTSIII. These are heavy bodies, no replacement for a 159/Aria, but rather for a 167mt or an older RTS body. I like to upgrade my RTS to a RX in future, but up to now there is no urgent need.

<p>

If you are looking for a lighter camera also consider the Yashica FX-D which is basically a 139 without the DOF preview button - very handable, light and costs less than USD 50.

I like the older bodies w/o the built in winders. I have a 139 and a 159 and they are great. I agree with the above post - the 159 for me is the perfect combination of features in a compact package. The only down side of the smaller bodies is they do not balance as well as the larger bodies, when using larger lenses. They are perfect for most of the standard (though slower) primes (28/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.7,1.4, 85/2.8, 100/3.5). Some say they are perfect for the 45mm tessar, but I found this lens too small to manipulate quickly so I got rid of it, without regret. The 50/1.7 is much better and still compact and light. If you like the larger heavier lenses, the 139 and 159 will balance them nicely with the motor drives/winders attached, but it adds bulk.

I addition to the 159, my all time favorite has to be the RTSII. Still relatively small compared with newer models, but it has enough concentrated mass to balance the larger lenses and minimize vibration.

Well, it's my all-round 35 mm camera (I usually work with MF), and I can't really

compare it to older models mentioned above -- except the RX, which I had before.

Frankly, the RX is a wonderful camera, and there is almost nothing to complain about

(well, except the ridiculous DFI scale). I would still use it, but I got this tempting offer

to upgrade to NX for little money.

As for the NX, well, it's almost as good as the N1, but it's waayyy less expensive. It

also has lots in common with its older, bigger sister, except the user interface. (No, it

should be "accept the user interface", because if you don't like the modality of

modern camera systems -- unlike the "one-button-per-function" philosophy of

classic Contax cameras -- you might find it, I don't know, "not intuitive"? For me it

works well, and I can live with my standard settings, doing the photography I do.)

If you are interested in a side-by-side comparison between N1 and NX, I've got a

good report on them in a German magazine, which I can scan for you.

Cheers

The following site offers a helpful comparison chart, which is mostly accurate. Be sure to research your purchases in regards to battery types, compatible accessories, and the like!

http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/contax.htm#P

There is also Contaxinfo.com, now a subscription-only site. Oddly, I recently have found it impossible for me to log on even though I subscribed ($$).

I think the Aria is great in every way; I have had one for a year. No camera is perfect. Note that the "matrix" meter is an unsophisticated backlight-compensation feature, AFAIK, that only works for subjects in the center of the frame. I recently purchased an S2. It is, of course, excellent, and my subjects usually do not mind the "ping" heard during or just after exposure.

Previously, I used the EOS A2 and still use an EOS 3. I switched to Contax for the short focal lengths in order to use Zeiss lenses (on EOS and on Contax bodies), which I presume undergo better quality control than do even L-series Canon lenses. Plus, I generally do all right with manual focus at this time and for most of my subjects.

I could write more, but I've got to get back to work. All for now.

P.S.: If I had more money, I would buy an RXII. Then again, that might mean having too many cameras.