As my favorite online camera store went out of businness not long ago

(New York Camera in Germany), I'm looking for a new one that I can

trust and who have acceptable prices (I'm living in Luxembourg, must

be one of the most expensive countries in Europe)<br><br>

Where do you Europeans buy your stuff (EOS gear), the store should be

in europe (those import taxes for overseas items suck), preferably

germany, france, belgium...<br><br>

Many thanks for any answers!

Well I was talking about the german filiale of the shop... But I was checking the website, they seem to be called 'Digital Wonder World' (sounds trustworthy to you? I don't know...), but it is the same online shop layout and stuff... <BR><BR>

I'm not too sure what happened though, I received an email from the manager a few days ago that they went into insolvence (do you call it that in english?), and would stop operations and deliveries... I can forward you the mail if you like! But as I say, it's the German based shop...

7DayShop are not in the EU! - they're in the Channel Islands. Therefore, when you buy an

expensive item from them, you

will be charged VAT at the point of delivery because you are importing an item into the EU

on which VAT and duty are payable.

Note that I'm not criticising 7DayShop here - I buy ink, film & paper from them, and for

items like they're very cost-effective; they package things into parcels that come below the

threshold point at which UK Customs will levy VAT, etc. But this will not apply in the case

of a camera.

As to why the Channel Islands are not in the EU, I'm not

entirely clear. I suppose it's because they're not actually part of the UK - they're a

possession of the Crown. Presumably

decided (they have their own assembly , I think, and government) to not join the EU. In

many respects they are treated as if they were part of the UK, but this VAT

issue is one area where they are definitely not so treated.

Of course, I don't know how well aware the customs authorities of other EU states are of

the Channel Islands' status. They may not be, or perhaps an individual customs official

may not be, and therefore might let goods in without levying VAT & duty. But the formal

position is that VAT & duty are due on goods imported into the EU, and the Channel

Islands are outside it. Therefore if you buy from a supplier based there you had better be

prepared for this.