Favorite architecture lenses for 8x10?

john_kasaian1

There are actually two series of G-Clarons. The earlier, non-airspaced, type is listed as providing an image circle of 320.7 for a 240mm lens at f22. This covers 8" X 10" but not by much. The later, airspaced types have only a 298mm image circle - not enough for 8" X 10". the easiest way to tell the difference is by the filter size. The earlier ones take a 46mm filter and the later ones a 52mm. I think it would be better for you to go to a longer size, 270 or 305. Both these still come in No.1 shutters, or at least the later ones do.

Regarding the 159mm Wolly, here again there are two versions, the III and the IIIa. The much more frequently seen Series IIIa f12.5 is a simpler construction than the eight element Series III f9.5. The advantage Wollensak claimed for the more elaborat construction was not any greater coverage, just usability at larger aperture. They both operate at 90 degrees, which gives them enough coverage for 8" X 10", but only just. Both benefit greatly by coating, which is identified by a "w" within a "c" amongst the markings.

240mm and 270mm G-Claron. In spite of Schneider's diminutive specs I find my later air spaced 240 gives a 380mm circle on my 11X14. Yes there are trade-offs. Mtf does begin to fade out in those extremes but normally that's up in the blue sky in the corners and not noticed. Much preferred to a vignette. If $ were not an object I'd be first in line for a 210 XL, but alas, it is. Love my 210 Kyvytar. Had a 190 WF Kodak once but it vignetted too often.

"Regarding the 159mm Wolly, here again there are two versions, the III and the IIIa. The much more frequently seen Series IIIa f12.5 is a simpler construction than the eight element Series III f9.5. The advantage Wollensak claimed for the more elaborat construction was not any greater coverage, just usability at larger aperture. They both operate at 90 degrees, which gives them enough coverage for 8" X 10", but only just. Both benefit greatly by coating, which is identified by a "w" within a "c" amongst the markings."

Where does the Wollensak 6 1/4" (159mm) f12.5 Anastigmat Extreme WA fall in that?

(BTW - a very nice little lens).

My other two favourites for this - 250 6.7 Fuji (not wide enough for a lot of stuff - but a great lens - much prefer it to the 250mm WF Ektar I tried for a while) and the 210 Kowa f9/6.8 (Kyyvytar) - lots of coverage for such a small lens and very "zingy"...

I also tried a 190 WF Ektar - hated it.

And I just missed a 190mm f9 Carl Zeiss Dagor that went for a comparative song on ebay

This kind of got me wondering what lenses Hedrich-Blessing(did I spell that right?) the famous Chicago architecture photography studio used on the 8x10 'dorffs that was thier standard camera back in the 30's and 40's? The B+W images I've seen are pretty imppressive. Anyone have any idea?

Aaron,

Some say the Kowa 210mm has a 460mm image circle @f22 - personally I'd say less than that - maybe 380/400. But lets say that at f45 I've run out of rise before I've run out of coverage.

And it also depends on what kind of architecture you are photogrpahing. The Fuji 250mm also has around 400 @f22 - again, I've found more at f32/45.

Not quite the 500mm you are talking about though.

I have a 165mm f/8 Schneider Super-Angulon here at work. It's a "chrome" one from the '60s. We rarely use it, there's no call for 8x10 architectural photographs these days. But it's very sharp, has good color rendition, and has plenty of coverage. Given that the majority of my 4x5 architecture work calls for a 90mm lens, the 165 SA would be the first choice if I was going to shoot 8x10. I wish I had an excuse to use it more!