Faulty metering because of lens (D90 + 18-105 VR)

b._p.

<p>Well this is very strange: I had my D90 for some time now with the 18-105 VR lens.<br>

Every time I had trouble with metering: matrix was all over the place and mostly gave me too light exposure and more then often the sky was blown out completely.<br>

Now I got a simple 18-55 II and: all problems are gone! Even matrix meters very good and only with very hard sunlight I need to adjust a little.<br>

So how is that possible? I had the camera and lens checked at Nikon service here in Portugal and they said it was "up to Nikon standards". I thought it was strange, but OK, I just ignored matrix and went with center weight.<br>

Maybe the VR lenses with more electronics are more prone to trouble?</p>

<p>I have the exact same problem with a brand new D3000. It's in transit to Nikon service now. I've owned D40, D60 and D200 camera without the problem, and worked with several different D80 and D90 cameras without the problem. We'll see what Nikon Service has to say about my new D3000. Unlike your experience, my problem occurred with several different lenses. I'm glad I have backups.</p>

<p>Will</p>

<p>Lex: testing method is simple: just shooting as I did before with the same settings and light. Before all pictures over exposed, now they are perfect. Not a clinical lab test, just a filed test combined with experience.<br>

Will: I also had several Nikons before: D40, D40x, D300 and D90. None had this problem. Those lenses you used: were they all VR or not?<br>

John: you might be right, except it wasn't incidental, but always. Maybe at Nikon they only tested the body. Matter of fact: I'm quite sure I remember that.<br>

Any how: yesterday I went for a walk around town and shot all kinds of things in the old part of my city: Torres Vedras in Portugal. Some old buildings and mainly old doors. Unlike before all exposure were excellent, even with the sky in it. So I'm quite happy now. I just understand, that I will have to test a lens in the future before buying it.<br>

Here is a gallery of the doors:<br>

<a href="http://bertram-paul.com/Doors/">http://bertram-paul.com/Doors/</a></p>

<p>Well, actually I think I used only two lenses -- one VR and one non-VR. It was the 55-200 VR and the 18-70 non-VR. I sent a CD with the camera that includes over-exposed images from both lenses. I hope the CD is helpful to the techs. I just checked FedEx tracking -- Nikon received the camera this morning.</p>

<p>Will</p>