faulty D70 on/off switch....

sergio_ortega7

Ok...here's one D70 problem I've never seen discussed here before. I've had a

D70 for over two years, it's been working perfectly since I got it. Great

camera, no problems whatsoever.

Today the on/off switch will NOT turn the camera off when you rotate the switch

to the "off" position. The switch feels fine otherwise. It rotates smoothly back

and forth. It stops firmly at the "off" detent point with no play or backlash

at all. The camera remains completely on and fully functioning when the switch

is in either the "off" or "on" position, it makes no difference and the camera

works fine in every other way.

Removing the battery while the switch is in

either the "on" or "off" position powers the camera down completely; inserting

it back in powers it back on and the same problem persists. I've left the

battery out of the camera for an hour or more to see it helped reset the

circuits or something...it didn't...it had no effect at all.

It has not been bumped, dropped, submitted to heat or wet conditions. (No...Coke

was not spilled on the switch.) It has not been damaged in any way that I'm

aware of. Turning it to the "off" switch position just doesn't turn the darn

thing off.

I reviewed the manual and find no troubleshooting areas discussing this. No

Menu default resets seem to affect the problem. Nothing in the Menu otions,

that I'm aware of, seems to address the on/off switch.

Questions: Any suggestions? Can the little on/off switch be pried off easily

and without any major surgery? I hate to send in a two-year old D70--that I've

been thinking of replacing with a D200--to Nikon (or anyone else, for that

matter) for repairs if it's going to cost a lot of money. I know it's tough to

predict, but any ideas what this could cost to repair?

What's the downside of just leaving the damned thing on for extended periods?

If nothing can be done, I'll probably just remove the battery to store the

thing, but that seems like such a half-a**ed way of doing things. Can anyone

suggest an easy fix?

Jeff and Henry, Thanks for taking the time to offer suggestions and solutions.

Unfortunately, the camera is no longer under warranty. I called the Nikon 24-hr. tech help line this AM to see if this was some sort of common issue and ask some questions. The tech guy (very nice and helpful fellow) was unaware of any common problems afflicting the on/off switch.

We went through all the previously mentioned routines (resets, battery removal, CF card removal/replacement, etc.). None of it had any effect. In the end, he felt it was some sort of physical problem with the on/off switch itself, something causing the switch to remain in the on circuit inside the rotating on/off switch. The camera would have to be "opened up" to determine the precise cause of the problem and to estimate the cost of repairing it. Damn!

I did not initially mention the "read/write" problem mentioned by Jeff. When I finally did, he asked if the camera was taking pictures and writing them to the card in a normal fashion. I verified that it is. I've made several images on several CF cards, and downloaded these to my computer, and everything worked as it usually does. He said that he doubts it could be a read/write problem if the camera is making images, writing them onto the card and otherwise working normally; the images would not be recorded as usual if there were a read/write problem or malfunction. On the surface, that makes sense...but what do I know about digital technology?

I guess the only alternative is to ship it back to Nikon and wait to see how many hundreds of dollars it will cost to fix. I was also told leaving the battery in for extended periods, or removing it to store the camera, would in no way harm the camera, other than to possibly shorten battery life. I may decide to do this, and skip the repair process.

Thanks for all your help, guys.

My camera was writting and reading data, it locked uo when the buffer got full and wouldn't clear after that. Then the battery needed to be pulled in order to shut it down. Additionally the green light in the back would come on and stay on. Those were the symptoms I had.

Jeff..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I am in the midst of dealing with this problem - on/off switch that will not shut the camera off. I called, was told to send the camera back, and did so. I explained that the camera was bought new (Calumet), was not used for almost a year (for various reasons), and worked fine except that the on/off switch would not shut the camera off. I received the estimate - $200 plus return shipping. I called to ask if this charge could be waived. Answer: a polite but blunt "no". I asked again, explaining the problems. Still "no". I asked to please speak to a supervisor. A blunt "no". Was there anyone else I could speak with about this? "No". Was there any way I could get a reconsideration of the need to charge me for this? "No". Was there a way to complain about this? "Write to the Service Manager." Could I please speak with the Service Manager? "No". Firms "no" everywhere. I have never been denied a chance to speak with a supervisor anyplace else, never. Maybe I have just been lucky. But, here at Nikon things are apparently different. Not very helpful. Using Nikons for 40 years got me this nice brick wall. I will now write to the Service Manager.

• 3 weeks later...
Follow-up to my post of October 26. (1) Camera went back, was repaired and returned to me within a total round trip of about two weeks. An estimate was sent by e-mail ($200) and I authorized repair by fax. (2) I also wrote to the Service Manager to describe my interaction with whoever answered the phone. I was called back, and the person on the phone (Service Manager or his associate) offered me a major apology for the manner of the original conversation, assured me that this was not Nikon policy and told me that the person involved had already been advised that this is no way to treat any customer, no matter what the situation. (3) My request for waiver of the fee was not approved. I also wrote to the President of Nikon Instruments at the same time I wrote to the Service Manager (same letter, just a copy) to ensure that the structure at Nikon understood the customer service implications. I give credit to Nikon for responding to me so quickly and for dealing with an employee as they should. I asked the person who called me how a mint camera with so little use can have such a fault and the person did not have an answer but said that he would look into the repair sheet for my particular camera. I presume that he will get back to me. I still find it strange that a camera such as the D70 could have such a problem, apparently one that happens to a number of people.