(Faster) Replacement for Canon G5

I still find that I use my Canon G5 more than any other camera I have, mostly

due to the result vs size vs ergonomics factors. I'm a hobby travel

photographer 90% of the time. (My Nikon D-SLRs are too often too big and

heavy). But, the shot to shot delay is as bad a it gets.... Shutter release is

ok, but I've missed far to many shots because of the shot to shot.

So, I'm thinking about a replacement. Everything about it, the build, the

menus, the functions are really great - so I want the same "advanced amateur"

handling. My only other real requirement, is that I can mount an OEM wide angle

lens/adapter. (I have to have that wide capability!)

I've looked at too many and I've gotten saturated. Now, I just need some good

advice.

(Apparently, the G6 is no faster and the Pro-1 does not have the wide ability

nor speed.)

I find my Pro1 pretty fast shot to shot. I know there is a setting in the menu somewhere for "Review" time. I turn this off and can shoot immediately after I take a photo. The most frusterating thing about the Pro1 vs. a Nikon dSLR is the turn on time is so slow, and the focusing is so slow. I am traveling to Japan and may buy a Nikon D50 since they are so cheap right now just to have more speed and wider lenses.

Dave

I don't know that any of the similar cameras are going to be much faster. IIRC from reviews, some of the comparable Sonys might be a bit faster, but most of these good high-end short-zoom digicams are being discontinued. They were often the answer to, "What do I use when the dslr is too big/too much troubl?" yet still offered a high degree of flexibility, performance and quality.

The best fixed lens digicam I had for near-ultrawide work was a Konica Minolta A2 with the

ACW-100 wide converter lens fitted, but I doubt they are all *that* much faster than the

Canon G5.

I ended up with a Pentax *ist DS and 14mm lens. Just a bit bulkier than the A2 and converter,

but DSLR responsive.

Godfrey

I see I'm not alone! This is the market segment that I've always liked best for digicams, and it does look like they are being faded out.

Godfrey, you've always come through when I needed you.

I can still find the Konica Minolta A200.... but how do you find the camera overall?

I wouldn't suggest the Panasonic FZ30 becuase it is little different in size to a DSLR, at least the smaller ones. So how about the LX-1 or the TZ-1. Don't know if you can fit your WA adaptor onto either but I get my wide shots by taking two or more overlaping shots and stitiching them with the programme which camera with my camera, so I have yet to spend on a WA adaptor.

have you considered the Canon A610 or A620. They are condsidered mini G6 cameras. They have the Digic II chip and do everything fast, focus, save, review, etc. It has all the modes like manual, program, auto, shutter, aperture priority, menus will be similar to what you have. You can attach to the front of the camera an adapter from Canon or lensmate to attach a wide angle lens, filter, closeup lens, etc also. Good lenses too, they have a useable 400 ISO too.