on the 35mm lens will make it about 50mm (which is what I am looking

for).

Honestly, the new M lens 50mm Asph Summilux really looks appealing,

but I am not sure if I want to invest into the M system anymore since

I will be going Digital with the DMR. I will likely not shoot much

film anymore.

Regards,

Steve

Stephen, I can't answer your main question, but here's a quick comment re the 50mm 'lux M <small>ASPH</small>: ignore it (nevermind that you have an R9). Why? Because resolution isn't everything, that's why.<br /><br />

In any case, even if this kind of lens were available for the R, would you want it? After all, the 'look' that a lens gives is just as important - and anyway, the 10Mpx sensor on the Digital R Module would not exploit the resolution of the 50mm <small>ASPH</small>.

Stephen, the 35mm f/1.4 for the R is from 1984 and is not an ASPH design but it has floating elements to help correct in the close range. Erwin Puts says that this lens never gets really sharp out to the corners, but then he says the same thing about the Summicron (which dates from 1977)and I have one of those and can't ask for better performance in the corners. Anyway the DMR will cover a smaller area than 35mm so some of the corner performance will be cropped out. The 35 Summilux R probably doesn't have the performance of the last upgrade of the 50 Summilux R though. You probably have enough time before the DMR comes out to get your hands on one and try it out using film. Keeping in mind the cropping you should get a pretty good idea. I am also probably going to eventually get the DMR, in fact I've got a 15mm Super-Elmar (the f/3.5 older one)waiting patiently.

I have the Summicron-R 35mm and its one of my favorite R lenses - lots of good character and plenty sharp enough to be sure. The 35/1.4 may not be an ASPH, but is is still an excellent design and being a 1.4 is easier to focus. The 'lux is a big lens (67mm thread), but handles very nicely. Still you may not want the extra weight. The lux is a little hard to find s/h. The 'lux is probably a better performer close up due to the floating elements. I had this choice for film and I picked the 'cron with no regrets, but I have to say the 35 and 801/4s would make a great pair (albeit heavy) for film.
Robin Smith

Hello,

I just wanted to say I ended up going with the speed of the 35mm Summilux. My main reason for getting the lens is to have a really fast fall back lens that I can use without flash. The 35mm will become 50mm with the new DMR so that will be great.

Thanks for the advice.

Steve

Sorry I can't really answer your main question because I don't regularly use both lenses. I did shoot a roll on the 35 cron a few years ago and was not very happy with the resolution at any apatures although it naturally got sharper as it was stopped down. The 35 lux is another story. I use one regularly and love it. It is not terribly sharp wide open or at 1.8 but becomes very sharp at 2.0. It is still sharp wide open in the central area but I don't really consider it up to the standard I expect as the falloff in sharpness is too great towards the edges. It's sharpness at middle apertures is extremely high, about the same as the 80/1.4 or 50 cron. I'am not into "bokeh" so I don't ever worry about it but I doubt there are issues. The tonal gradation is spectacular, about the same as the 80 lux, very smooth.

I would be very surprised if you were dissapointed with this lens if you were to buy one, unless it was actually faulty. It is on of my favourites.

JJ