Fast lens for Nikon D70

rhs

I'd like to replace my 18-70mm (kit lens) with a fast lens (2.8). I

don't like to use flash, so that's the main reason.

Don't care too much about the wide-angle (I don't photograph too

much of lansdscape). I saw that most of the standard zooms start at

24mm. That's ok. I'd rather have a more zoom in the end.

I often hear that you should buy the same brand as your camera

(faster focus). Is it true?

Any suggestions? I am waiting for my yearly bonus to come in, wo why

not buy something new for my camera?

You say you don't care much about the wide end and you like the reach of the telephoto end. Okay. There are only a few Nikkor f/2.8 zoom lenses... it is a Goldilocks choice. About one minute of shopping should convince you: A couple are tooo wide. One is toooo long. The other one is juuust right.

On the other hand, for less than the price of any of the f/2.8 zooms you could by the 35/2, 50/1.8 and 85/1.8 autofocus Nikkors and have three excellent, truly fast lenses.

Be well,

Rubianca, if you got the money for a fast (=pro) Nikon zoom you should consider the 50mmAFD F1.8 as an addition. Optically its a great lens and its small and a nice portrait lens on the D70. The moderate additional cost of 100US$ will almost be unnoticed on the bill of the zoom ^^.

If the pro zoom is too expensive the same lens is a "must". Its one of the best Nikon lenses at an extremely low price - the best lens/price ratio you can get.

As for the zooms just as said above - look at Nikons homepage and decide for the range you want. All the F2.8 zooms are excellent.

Thanks for the answers, but I forgot to mention that I already own a 50mm/1.8. I am truly looking for a standard zoom, which could be the one stayin on the camera for most of the times.

What about 3rd party lenses? Or would you really stick to Nikon lenses?

For 3rd party lenses look into the Sigma 24-60mm/2.8 EX DG. I've been using one for about 1.5 yrs. and I haven't had any problem with it. It's not quite a Nikon, but close. Image quality is excellent. Look here for reviews:http://www.photographyreview.com/cat/lenses/35mm-zoom/sigma/PRD_323601_3128crx.aspx

I was browsing through the web for fast standard zoom lenses and stumbled upon the Tokina 28-80 ATX.

The Nikon lens in this category - 24-85 / 2.8 wes not getting very good reviews. And lots of people were suggesting the Tokina as a very good alternative.

Any comments?

<<I was browsing through the web for fast standard zoom lenses and stumbled upon the Tokina 28-80 ATX. The Nikon lens in this category - 24-85 / 2.8 wes not getting very good reviews. And lots of people were suggesting the Tokina as a very good alternative. Any comments?>>

Rubianca: The Nikon's Nikkor lenses in the 24-85 focal length are not f/2.8 zooms.

There is an AF-D lens in that focal length range, with a maximum (widest) aperture of f/2.8 at the 24mm end of the zoom, but it is a variable aperture design, slowing to f/4 for maximum available aperture at the 85mm end. It costs roughly $450 - $550 new.

There is also an AF-G lens in that focal length range, with the AF-S silent wave motor for fast focusing. Its maximum aperture is f/3.5 at the 24mm end and f/4.5 at the 85mm end. It costs roughly $350 new.

Those two lenses are not appreciably faster than your very nice 18-70 kit lens for the D70. The 18-70mm kit lens for the D70 actually does make a good impression on just about everyone. The 24-85 lenses are fine but not particularly stellar or superior members of the Nikkor family. They're not the lenses people rave about. I would be hard-pressed to recommend either of those 24-85 lenses to you, because they do not seem to be cost-effective improvements over the lens you already own.

There really is an f/2.8 lens in that focal length range. It covers 28mm-70mm focal lengths with an f/2.8 maximum aperture available throughout the zoom range. It has AF-S for fast and silent focusing, and everybody seems to agree it is a terrific lens, just wonderful... and it costs about $1,350 - $1,450 new. You'd love it.

I do not know enough about the Sigmas and Tokinas to be of help there. They may be exactly what you want.

Be well,

Nikon Nikkor AF D 14 mm f/ 2,8 (21 mm equivalente on 24x36).

Nikon Nikkor AF D 28 mm f/ 1,4 (42 mm equivalent on 24x36).

Nikon Nikkor AF D 85 mm f/ 1,4 (127,50 mm equivalent on 24x36).

Expensive but excellent.

Sigma AF EX 14 mm f/ 2,8 (21 mm equivalente on 24x36).

Sigma AF EX 30 mm f/ 1,4 (45 mm equivalent on 24x36).

Sigma AF EX 105 mm f/ 2,8 (157,50 mm equivalent on 24x36).

Very good too but less expensive.

Best regards

Vincenzo Maielli Bari Italy

• 2 years later...

<p>i'm considering the tamron 17-50mm lense, is fast. cheap, picture quality is anything but cheap,but some users have had problems with it though so get it from somewhere with a good return policy. (apperently the newer ones have problems, and the old ones are fine, i made a thread comparing it to the 17-55mm nikon one, its on the first page on nikon lens and optics page</p>

<p> </p>