I've been interested in fashion photography for quite some time but

now I want to try my hand at it. Unfortunately I have neither the

time nor the resources to obtain a studio, studio equipment, or

makeup artists. I was thinking more along the lines of doing fashion

photography on location, using the city as a backdrop, and using

available light (i.e., no flash). It doesn't necessarily have to

have a "street photography" look; actually I'd prefer more of

a "cinematic" look (though the two aren't necessarily mutually

exclusive). I also have no prior experience working with models.

Does anyone have any advice, ideas, or suggestions on how to get

*somewhat* decent results? Thanks and regards --- Drew

The streets can be an excellent backdrop for fashion work; not only the streets themselves but public buildings, funky old cafes, parks, hotel lobbies, train stations...anything that seems to work visually with your model(s).

A word of advice: if using building lobbies or other public spaces, ask NICELY for permission, go when it's a slow time and above all, minimize your interference with others using that facility. Don't be the Prima Donna photog--if you ever want to use that space again.

As far as the tech side goes, short to medium tele

lenses and large apertures are a good choice (for distance compression and to blow out distracting backgrounds). Overcast days are conducive to good color saturation, contrast control and to keep models from looking like (Old Squint-eye) Clint Eastwood. Unless, of course, your model IS Clint Eastwood. Flash fill can create dramatic effects, especially at twilight. Otherwise, seek out the magic hour light.

Try to get someone to assist you if you can. An extra pair of eyes and hands is worth its weight in gold. Often a relector for fill is all you need to create pleasing light effects. An assistant can also keep an eye on your camera bag while you concentrate on your work.

The first models I worked with 20-some years ago were some hairdressers I came to know. Many have great wardrobes, know how to do their own makeup and have a flair for the dramatic. Otherwise, a good source for models is any talent or modeling agencies in your area. Offer a "Time for Prints" deal. If you want to know more about that, do a Googlesearch on TFP. Anyone in, or aspiring to, any of the glam professions is in constant need of new photos for their book.

Do be a professional, if not in fact, then at least in attitude. DO NOT treat this as a dating opportunity.

That being said...sometimes if there is an undercurrent of attraction between you and your model it will really give your photos some sizzle--just don't get fresh.

Always offer (especially if your model is a teen) them the opportunity to bring someone along with them (you could even use that person as your assistant if you don't have anyone else). Have a coffee meeting prior to the shoot so you can check out one another's portfolios and get used to one another's company. The more relaxed the both of you are, the better the shoot will go and the better your pictures will be. My approach is to not be too directorial. I treat it as a collaboration. Very often the model will have better ideas than you (speaking only for myself, of course).

Above all, try to have fun and make it fun for your model(s).

If you want, go and check out the fashion photos I have posted here (more to come in the next little while).

I don't disagree with anything that Gordon says, but I'd like to suggest a few things to keep in mind. An assistant with a reflector isn't always a neccessity. Concrete and light-colored building can provide excellent natural fill. Also, the objective for fashion photography is not primarily to flatter the model--you aren't limited by any of the "rules" for portraiture.

Even on location, a makeup artist and (for fashion) clothing stylist will have a HUGE impact on your results. As much care and support goes into location shoots as anything that happens in a studio.

Read the archives and set realistic expectations about what you can learn and accomplish.

This is good advice, thank you. However I was referring to more along the lines of composition, viewpoints, etc. etc. While I realize the good folks of photo.net can't physically take the pictures for me, I was hoping for maybe a set of guidelines to at least help get me going since I have <zero> prior experience with fashion photography. To wit: many novice photographers rely on a bag of tricks to help themselves learn the craft until they ultimately (if ever) start developing their own voice, for example, by framing within a frame, relying on rule of thirds, etc. Are there any such "tricks" specific to [outdoor] fashion photography? By starting out following certain pointers or tips I hope to ultimately branch out and develop my own style. Thanks for the knowledge.

1) A good hair and make-up person is almost essential. Almost.

2) If the model isn't a personal friend. Make sure you negotiate usage of the images.

3) As for photographic style. Flip through mags for shots that catch your eye, like an Italien Vogue or something, then immulate those. There's pretty remarkable fashion stuff posted on photo.net or try www.sowear.com There's no harm copying the masters you appreciate in trying to find your own methods. Just don't bog yourself down. If you like the composition in an image, just keep it in the back of your head. If you like the poses in a shoot, try and remember them. Then use lots of film and see waht works for you.

4) Work with as many models as you can. Each one will teach you. (My first fashion shoot was with a very experienced model. She just dnaced in front of the camera, and I was like, this is so easy, and I got 50 great shots out of 2 rolls. The I worked with a new girl who was a stiff as a board - things got much much more difficult and it was 5 great shots out of 3 rolls.)

5)And realize that taking pictures of really pretty people is really pretty easy.

Good luck.

The "trick" to learning how to shoot anything is to copy a shot that you like. Then you can start experimenting with your own interpretations.

The attached shot was with an experienced amateur model (and available light) in a downtown chain restaurant (Cha Cha Coconuts) in Ybor City (Tampa). (And with me acting as stylist - amateur models usually have no clue what looks good on them.)

I would remind you that Fashion photography is essentially Product photography. A large part of the decision making regarding composition/lighting etc. concerns accentuating the PRODUCT, not the model. It is different than portraiture or glamour work. The model's face is often optional in fashion work. If you want your efforts to closely resemble professional fashion photography, you would do well to emulate the motivation for it, which is to sell a product. That being said, all of the above advice holds true. Good luck!-jdf

Fashion photography is not product photography; catalog photography is product photography. Fashion photography is advertising - and like selling the sizzle instead of the steak, in a lot of fashion photography it's the product that is optional.

we're not here to critique John's photo or his model's physique (which is NOT a problem). His observation is correct concerning fashion photography's kinship with advertising. The sizzle is currently more important than the steak. It's not what the clothes look like, it's how they make you feel when you wear them. Or how you feel when your girlfriend wears them. <p>There is however, another ctagory of fashion photography which has no people in it, and that is photo illustration of fashion accessories. But that's not what Mr. Lee wants to discuss now, is it? So lets stay on topic, eh? <p>Drew, find a well dressed girl, put her in good light and make some pictures. Then post them here, so everyone can discuss something other than hypotheticals... t

Mr. Kantor, I agree with you, the sizzle is certainly what is selling. Please excuse my clumsy earlier remarks. If you replace the word product in my remarks with sizzle from yours, we'll end up in agreement here. The point that I failed to make is that fashion photography is selling SOMETHING, sizzle or steak, and that is the PRODUCT to which I meant to refer. While fashion photography may include elements of glamour or portrait photography, it is neither. Unless the model is a celebrity, which some models are, the photo is about the product/sizzle, and not the model. My remark regarding the motivation for the shot refers to this. If your sizzle is not well defined, at least in your own mind, the line between fashion/glamour/portraiture/street photography can disappear, which may not matter if the sizzle comes across. I'm probably just confusing my position, so I'm going to shut up. Good luck.-jdf

• 8 months later...

Its all about location. Find a good location first by scouting out your area. Once you find the location go there and hang out by yourself. Bring your camera if you'd like to document the location for future use. Once you see the location you can find out what colors cordinate w/ the location and work from there. Its all about styling the shot to coincide w/ one another.

good luck

this example of my work is shot in an abandoned rail car.

for more examples go to www.jecphoto.com thats my website