Famous old camera and their users

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by john_bear, Feb 16, 2015.

1. There was recently a post about George Harrison of the Beatles using an Canon 7, and it made me wonder whether the members of this forum can think of any other camera models that have been associated with famous people, or that have been featured in films?
    I can think of a few. There's the Yashica Electro 35 used by Spiderman Peter Parker. The Argus C3 Matchless in Harry Potter, and used by Ruth Hussey in "The Philadelphia Story" (1940), Max Showalter in the 1953 film "Niagara" and Gwyneth Paltrow in "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" (2004) ... I looked these up!
    Off screen I've seen photos of Arnie (Terminator) Schwarzenegger with a Yashica TL Electo X, and of course the Beatles were often photographed with Pentax Spotmatics. President Jimmy Carter was known to be an Argus C3 owner.
    There must be countless examples, but I can't personally think of any more!

2. Pablo PIcasso, Ernest Hemingway and Alan Ginsberg were photographers, and you should be able to find out what they used. A Leica M3D used to photograph PIcasso sold for over two million dollars in 2012.

There was an exhibit, Picasso and the Camera, in New York, which was scheduled to close January 3 of this year. I think a book from the exhibit is available.

I believe John Glenn used a 35mm camera on the first U.S. orbital flight. Again, you'll have to research to find out what it was, or someone else here will help.

3. Jeff bridges uses a Widelux.
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/main.html

4. Che Guevara with what is said to be a Nikon S2: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lraog6DC0B1qfet8co1_400.jpg
    Che also used a Soviet Start and a Pentacon 6TL

5. It's been a long time since I saw it, but I think in A Hard Day's Night, Ringo is walking around with a Pentax which was apparently what he actually used.

6. There's a mirror selfie of musician PJ Harvey
    taken with a Pentax SLR. Not sure whether it's a
    K 1000, the web sized photo I've seen is too
    small. And it appears to have a Leica neck strap,
    although that's just a guess - some of the
    letters are obscured. I'm not sure whether it's
    her own camera or one borrowed from another
    photographer. It may have been from a session
    with Jane Bown, who mostly preferred the Olympus
    OM-1.

7. Sammy Davis Jr. was a prolific photographer and used a Rolleiflex HERE

8. Picasso used a fed 2, the "M3D" got that auction figure because it was a custom built Leica for David Douglas Duncan, not only because it was used to photograph Picasso. See Duncan's book 'Photo Nomad" for details.

9. Of course, the Stereo Realist camera used many famous Hollywood people in their ads. Here are two of them.
    Lloyd's daughter has published a book of her dad's stereo nudes.
    00d8Az-554977584.jpg

10. Yul Brynner was reputed to be quite good as a photographer.

11. Leonard Nemoy studied photography at UCLA, where he used Nikon film cameras. He has published several books of his photographs, including one titled "Shekhina".

12. SCL

SCL

Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window with Jimmy Stewart using an Exakta. Not sure if it was his in the movie, but he was noted for taking his wife on multiple African photographic safaris.

13. Stanley Kubrick was a photojournalist before he
    was a movie director, and there are several
    mirror selfies of him with Leica rangefinders.
    There's also one with a TLR (I don't recognize
    the model):

http://directorsseries.tumblr.com/post/90364586387/stanley-kubrick-first-works-1951

One of Kubrick's most interesting selfies was
    from the set of The Shining. It seems to be an
    out of focus photo of Jack Nicholson. But it's
    actually an in focus photo of Kubrick with his
    daughter, and includes a cinema camera operator
    on the far side in the uncropped photo. In this
    particular photo Kubrick appears to be using a
    black SLR, but I can't make it out well. Perhaps
    an Olympus?

http://thefilmbook.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Kubrick-self-portrait-with-daughter-Vivian-and-camera-on-set-of-The-Shining-.jpg

14. Good grief! There are dozens, by dint of a little Googling! Try "celebrities with cameras"...

15. True, but with each iteration of these
    celebrities with cameras threads some new
    examples appear.

16. And as many more as you could ever want:
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=celebrities+with+cameras&FORM=HDRSC2

17. Incidentally, while photo.net may seem terminally
    unhip compared with the rest of the web, our
    policies still permit uploading only photos we
    ourselves have made. Please post only links to
    other photos. See the guidelines, TOU and FAQ
    via bottom of every photo.net page, unless you're
    using the mobile app.

18. Good link Brad, thanks for that...and Diane Kruger sure makes that P67 look sexy!

19. General/President Dwight Eisenhower was a prolific Stereo Realist user.
    Field Marshal Rommel often was shown with a Leica IIIc and 50mm Elmar around his neck.

20. Paget Brewster supposedly takes photos for suicidegirls.com, but I haven't been able to corroborate this. However I did find this little faux-retro gem of her in classic cheesecake getup posing with... some sort of... TLR... aww, who cares, it's nearly nekkid Paget Brewster, with cheap newsprint halftone effects to boot. (BTW, if you only know Paget from her Emily Prentiss character on Criminal Minds, she's also a hilarious comedienne and voice actress on the Thrilling Adventure Hour podcast.)

21. Lex, that's a Kodak Duoflex.

22. My mistake. It's an ARGUS model 75.

23. Bill, are you BLIND?
    That's Paget Brewster!

24. My 1995 Sotheby's catalog of the sale of the estate of Man Ray includes the following cameras:
    Thornton-Pickard folding field camera
    Zeiss-Ikon Contaflex SLR - the photo looks like the Contaflex IV
    Zeiss-Ikon Ikoflex III TLR
    Voigtlander Avus 9x12
    Unidentified half-plate tailboard camera
    Ron Gratz

25. Queen Elizabeth ll uses a Leica Digital.
    /Clay

26. Dustin McAmera

Dustin McAmera Yorkshire, mostly on film.

Oxford University's Museum of the History of Science has T.E. Lawrence (of Arabia)'s quarter-plate Dallmeyer:

http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/cameras/item57.htm

27. Sorry, I only saw 'famous people' and forgot this is about classic cameras, not digital.
    /Clay

28. Thanks for an interesting post, John! My contribution would be aviatrix Amelia Earhart, who was a very capable photographer. She favoured the Kodak Duo 620 because of its small size when folded up. I've attached a photo of her using it on arrival in Venezuela, on the start of her ultimately tragic attempt to circumnavigate the world in 1937. (Pete In Perth)
    00d8Sr-555045784.jpg

29. [​IMG]
    Nice stories about famous photographers and their equipment! Field Marshal Erwin Rommel did prefer Leica.

30. James G. Dainis

James G. Dainis Moderator

Note from moderator. I would remind everyone of what is in the Terms of Use/Community Guidelines:
    "You agree to upload and post only User Content that you have created yourself."
    "Any image you post should be your own work. If you want to reference an image shot by someone else, please link to it rather than post the image itself. "

That is simple and clear. It doesn't matter if it is public domain, expired copyright, or "if it is on the internet it is free". If you didn't create the photo yourself, don't post it directly. I have been somewhat lax in enforcing this rule but this thread is going a bit too far in rule violations.

31. James,
    Maybe you should remain somewhat lax. Have a cup of tea and relax a little. This is the very reason I no longer visit certain photography related forums. Infighting and name calling are one thing, but a picture Amelia and Erwin??? Life's to short! John W

32. John Wiegerink comment: ditto.

33. James G. Dainis

John and Bill, are you saying that I should just delete the photos that are in violation of Photo.net rules and guidelines? Or are you saying I should just allow copyright violations to continue?

34. James Dainis, I'm saying that if it doesn't appear obvious that copyright violations have occurred, give it the benefit of the doubt and save yourself the grief. For example, in the instances above (Amelia and Erwin), they would have appeared to be used within the guidelines of "critical comment" which can be applied to images as well as text quotations.
    You've got a hard-enough job; just try to be sure and do what is best for the readers.
    And, thank you for your work and dedication to the forum.
    Bill

35. James G. Dainis

I can find posters for sale of the photo of James Dean with the camera. It may or may not still be under copyright protection. I would think that it would be. Photo.net has taken a stand that they don't want to decide or do research to find out if a posted photo is free of copyright or to decide if it doesn't appear that copyright violations have occurred or if it is "critical comment" or "fair use" or anything else.

A while back I saw a copy of a complaint from a photographer who was upset that one of his photos was posted without his permission on Photo.net. It had first been posted on Facebook without his permission and then copied from there and posted on Photo.net again without his permission. He was mostly upset that a website for photographers would have so little regard for copyright. He was assured that Photo.net feels strongly about copyright and hence the guidelines not to post a photo that was not taken by the poster himself. It is so simple to comply:

"You agree to upload and post only User Content that you have created yourself."
    "Any image you post should be your own work. If you want to reference an image shot by someone else, please link to it rather than post the image itself. "

36. . . . are you saying that I should just delete the photos that are in violation of Photo.net rules and guidelines?​
    James, you should delete photos that violate photo.net rules.

37. Would be better if there were no photos that have to be deleted.<br>I too am frequently amazed at how casual photographers flaunt the copyright of other photographers. Piracy appears to be regarded as a good thing nowadays, lost the negative connotation if still very, very much deserves.<br><br>The worst case i encountered myself was a website devoted to no other topic than copyright infringement and how bad a thing that is, the owner going off in a stream of (justified) rants about the lowlifes that pilfer, steal and rob, posting one of my images on his site without even asking. Not only did he infringe my copyright, but he also stole the bandwidth i pay for by setting the source in the image tag to the original location of the image.<br>That made it easy to get back to him. I replaced the image with one explaining that this holier-than-holiest thieving so-and-so stole my image. He then managed to find where to contact me in a hurry, expressing his (!) anger. How dare i show him up like that... Idiots abound on the WWW.<br><br>Long rant, but please do respect people's rights.<br>And not knowing whether something is free to use, or not knowing how to contact the copyright owner to ask = it is not allowed to use that image. So just don't.

38. Photo.net admin and mods have been through this copyright issue over and over and over. Not long ago we even chatted about whether to ease up on some usages. And then the recent situation James described above occurred. Every time we consider exceptions, something pops up to remind us the longtime policy is still the best.
    So it always boils down to the same thing: The longtime photo.net policy is the simplest and most foolproof you'll find anywhere online. Saves us all a lot of grief. Nobody needs to interpret copyrights, fair usage, creative commons or the vagaries of international law. And we can set the bar high for respecting copyrights, which is an increasingly rare thing online.
    So...
    1. Post only photos and/or images/documents you have made.

2. Post links to everything else. Not embedded - this puts a burden on the bandwidth of the hosting site. Fine for sites like photobucket, but an unfair burden on an individual photographer's personal blog. So, just post links. Anyone interested can easily follow the link.

There are a gazillion sites for this. I use photobucket and imgur for stuff I want to share but didn't take/make myself, such as scans from old books and magazines.
    Easy.

39. I apologize.
    You're right.

40. James G. Dainis

Note: this thread is set to expire, disappear, at the end of this month.