Famous old camera and their users

john_bear

<p>There was recently a post about George Harrison of the Beatles using an Canon 7, and it made me wonder whether the members of this forum can think of any other camera models that have been associated with famous people, or that have been featured in films?</p>

<p>I can think of a few. There's the Yashica Electro 35 used by Spiderman Peter Parker. The Argus C3 Matchless in Harry Potter, and used by Ruth Hussey in "The Philadelphia Story" (1940), Max Showalter in the 1953 film "Niagara" and Gwyneth Paltrow in "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" (2004) ... I looked these up! </p>

<p>Off screen I've seen photos of Arnie (Terminator) Schwarzenegger with a Yashica TL Electo X, and of course the Beatles were often photographed with Pentax Spotmatics. President Jimmy Carter was known to be an Argus C3 owner. </p>

<p>There must be countless examples, but I can't personally think of any more!</p>

<p>Pablo PIcasso, Ernest Hemingway and Alan Ginsberg were photographers, and you should be able to find out what they used. A Leica M3D used to photograph PIcasso sold for over two million dollars in 2012.<br /> <br />There was an exhibit, <em>Picasso and the Camera</em>, in New York, which was scheduled to close January 3 of this year. I think a book from the exhibit is available.<br /> <br /> I believe John Glenn used a 35mm camera on the first U.S. orbital flight. Again, you'll have to research to find out what it was, or someone else here will help.</p>

There's a mirror selfie of musician PJ Harvey

taken with a Pentax SLR. Not sure whether it's a

K 1000, the web sized photo I've seen is too

small. And it appears to have a Leica neck strap,

although that's just a guess - some of the

letters are obscured. I'm not sure whether it's

her own camera or one borrowed from another

photographer. It may have been from a session

with Jane Bown, who mostly preferred the Olympus

OM-1.

Stanley Kubrick was a photojournalist before he

was a movie director, and there are several

mirror selfies of him with Leica rangefinders.

There's also one with a TLR (I don't recognize

the model):

http://directorsseries.tumblr.com/post/90364586387/stanley-kubrick-first-works-1951

One of Kubrick's most interesting selfies was

from the set of The Shining. It seems to be an

out of focus photo of Jack Nicholson. But it's

actually an in focus photo of Kubrick with his

daughter, and includes a cinema camera operator

on the far side in the uncropped photo. In this

particular photo Kubrick appears to be using a

black SLR, but I can't make it out well. Perhaps

an Olympus?

http://thefilmbook.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Kubrick-self-portrait-with-daughter-Vivian-and-camera-on-set-of-The-Shining-.jpg

Incidentally, while photo.net may seem terminally

unhip compared with the rest of the web, our

policies still permit uploading only photos we

ourselves have made. Please post only links to

other photos. See the guidelines, TOU and FAQ

via bottom of every photo.net page, unless you're

using the mobile app.

<p>Paget Brewster supposedly takes photos for suicidegirls.com, but I haven't been able to corroborate this. However I did find <a href="http://cdn52.fansshare.com/images/pagetbrewster/full-paget-brewster-76309837.jpg">this little faux-retro gem</a> of her in classic cheesecake getup posing with... some sort of... TLR... aww, who cares, it's nearly nekkid Paget Brewster, with cheap newsprint halftone effects to boot. (BTW, if you only know Paget from her Emily Prentiss character on Criminal Minds, she's also a hilarious comedienne and voice actress on the Thrilling Adventure Hour podcast.)</p>