Famous Mythological Cameras: The Leica X1

<p>Anybody know the fate of the X1? It sounded like a good idea to me and I thought I might buy one. However, it seems as if the technology is changing faster than Leica can get their latest entry into the market. $2000 is a lot of money for a camera that is close to being the equivalent of "vapro-ware."</p>

<p>Mythological or not. Maybe one Leica news on next Photokina would be a D-Lux5 with the X1 sensor, or a X2 with a kind of D-Lux4 zoom lens, something like that. Nevertheless the actual X1 is a very nice camera, no hard feelings about its price...</p>

<p>It's definitely not "vapro-ware." Those who have been lucky enough to get their hands on one have <a href="http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-x1-forum/">forums</a> and <a href="http://www.flickr.com/groups/x1leica/">flickr groups</a> for the X1.</p>

<p>It also has been widely reviewed. <strong>Pluses</strong> compared to other compact cameras: image quality is the best of any compact camera anywhere (about the same as Nikon D300 SLR), and operation is virtually silent. <strong>Minuses:</strong> price, autofocus is slow, dials on top turn too easily, no interchangeable lenses, manual-focus could be improved; and even with optional grip there's nowhere natural for user's right thumb to rest.</p>

<p>Judging from the demand and the comments of its owners, those who have the X1 like it a lot, but many photographers are not buying it because they feel that the M4/3s cameras are a better option (or the Sigmas, the Ricoh, or the Samsung).</p>

<p>Again, there are some excellent in-depth reviews and lots of downloadable full-size images from the X1, so it's easy to judge for oneself whether it's a good option.</p>

<p>Despite the price tag of $2,000, demand have so far outstripped supply so much that where I am the X1 has actually gone UP in price rather than down.<br>

It started to be sold here at $2,450, already above MRP, but last week it had gone up to $2,840! And only ONE is available in the whole city.<br>

I was supposed to be the lucky guy but I told my dealer that the whole purpose of my calling him was to see if it has gone down. So I passed. More waiting.</p>

<p>I love mine. It took 3 months to arrive and that was definitely frustrating but for me it was worth the wait. I didn't expect it to be the be-all camera and slice cheese at the same time, just be a P&S with "real camera" image quality....it definitely is all of that. It's the first of it's breed and I hope the outstanding sales performance will generate even better options in APC and full sized sensor compact cameras.</p>