Famous flower and macro photographers to research

fred_monsone

<p>

<p >Good morning team,</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I am about to embark on a college project for which I have to research famous flower and macro photographers. I already have Imogen Cunningham, Jan Groover, Ron Van Dongen, and Andre’ Karteche (how do you spell his name correctly?).</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Can anyone point me in the direction of any more? They have to be of worldwide fame or my tutor will not allow them. Many thanks for any tips!</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Fred</p>

</p>

<p>Specifically flowers? John Shaw would come to mind both as a nature photographer who shoots a lot of flowers and publishes a lot, but I wouldn't call him a flower photographer. Likewise Lief Ericksenn/ Els Sincebaugh are in the same ilk.</p>

<p>Specifically flowers? John Shaw would come to mind both as a nature photographer who shoots a lot of flowers and publishes a lot, but I wouldn't call him a flower photographer. Likewise Lief Ericksenn/ Els Sincebaugh are in the same ilk.</p>

<p>This one would be easier if there was a 'Great Photographers' forum, or 'History of Photography' forum. You might get good advice if you can find a few gallery curators, or photography professors at other institutions, and bounce your ideas off them. Here's a couple of thoughts, and I'm sure no expert on the subject.</p>

<p>(i) To me, Cunningham is the obvious example, but that may just be because I have her excellent book <em>Flora</em>.</p>

<p>(ii) You might also consider if her <em>Group f/64</em> pal Edward Weston fits your criteria, or even some of the others. Weston's famous pictures of vegetables are in the close-up/macro range.</p>

<p>(iii) If you want a different spin from someone indisputably famous, consider Man Ray and his photograms.</p>

<p>(iv) The correct spelling is Kertesz.</p>

<p>Good luck-- keep us posted on how you get on with this.</p>

As a professional botanist and 25 year+ hobbyist nature photograpgher, I'd say Gisèle Lamoureux is easily the best flower photographer I've ever seen... Unfortunately (maybe) her "Fleurbec" group website and amazing books are in CA Francais.

http://www.fleurbec.com/index.htm

I'm not sure how famous Fleurbec is outside of Canada and maybe France (bacause they are aimed at Francophone plant enthusiasts and botanists), but the photos are the most beautiful and technically accurate I have ever seen. And remember, the perception of 'worldwide fame' may be centric to the language of the perceiver...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...