Family Portraits, Posing Child in Wheelchair

<p>Hi! I have a family portrait session scheduled soon, and am having a little trouble with some unique posing ideas. The family has a terminally ill 5 yr old daughter and are wanting family pictures done before she passes, for lack of a better way of putting it. The little girl is in a wheelchair, and probably will not be able to talk or smile. She will basically just be there to be photographed...does anyone have any ideas of ways to set this up? It's a very sad & strange situation, I know...any ideas would be appreciated! :)</p>

<p>Leslie, this is indeed a difficult and important assignment. I have only thouht about it for a moment, so here is the first idea that came to mind. Instead of a traditional family portrait with a dark muslin background, I would use a pure white background, I would place the girl with the wheelchair to one side, not totally cented, but not totally to one side. I would have family members stand or sit. I may try to have everyone hold someone else's hand. I would make the expressions neither happy nor sad, but reflecting stoic acceptance of reality. It could be a powerful portrait showing strength and courage with no frills of any kind, just a family with the courage to face the loss of a child. It would be interesting to have the family wear white as well - the light that opposes the darkness of death.</p>

<p>First, I would listen to the family. Try to understand what they want and use your skills to do it if possible.</p>

<p>As for posing the child, I would think of her as I do a newborn, on someone's lap with them supporting their head if necessary. The rest of the family can fit in around them. You might try having them looking at her for one pose.</p>

<p>A portrait of the child, on her mothers lap showing hands laid upon her, only the hands with her mothers hand on her heart and her mothers face kissing her gently on her forehead. White clothing; the chair covered in white. An angel with the family trying to hold is the picture.</p>

<p>I have an almost two year old so its very very hard to even think of this... My take on it would be to have mom or dad holding the little one if that works, and keeping the faces really close together... let the image be of the faces, the souls, and less about the bodies that fail us. <br>

I can't imagine shooting this, much less being in their position. I don't believe in prayer, but if there ever was a time, this is it. I am definitely not telling you what to do in any way, but couldn't even take money for this.</p>

<p>I'd definately leave the wheel chair out of the pictures and make things more personal. You want to capture the memories of how things were normally as best as possible. Find out about some of the interests she had and try and work that into the pictures. Capture some things that defined her. I also agree with possing her propped on a couch or on mom or dad's lap. Make it more personal.</p>

<p>Hi everyone, thanks so much for your ideas & advice. It is a very grim situation. I can honestly say that I did not necessarily <em>want</em> to take this job, but felt that it was the right thing to do. And no, I most definitely will not be charging them...but nonetheless, I want these to be some great photos for them.<br>

We are going to be outdoors, in a park type area. There are a lot of different background options...bridges, wooded areas, a beachy type area...I plan on bringing a couple of muslin backdrops too, just in case. I don't know if they are able to take her out of the wheelchair or not, but am hoping that it will be an option.<br>

Anyways, thanks so much for the advice!!</p>

<p>There are professional photographers who do and are on call to photo the dieing in hospitals with family and friends. I saw this on 60 minutes I think. They also work funerals. I shot my wife's son at his funeral, but, just before everyone came in. She treasures these photos today. So, I must say that they are the most treasured photos she has. Therefore, I would have to say that you need to do great as these photos will be their most treasured.<br>

go to:</p>

<li><cite><strong>photography</strong>.families.com</cite></li>

<p>I think this will help you.</p>

<p>"I can honestly say that I did not necessarily <em>want</em> to take this job..."</p>

<p>I can understand this, but on the other hand you will be doing something for this family that they will remember for the rest of their lives. Your photos will be one of the the things they will treasure for ever. I've never been in your position, but from my own experiences of being bereaved, it is best if people you deal with are not overcome with emotion, but deal with you in a matter of fact way. As an example, I went with my mother to sort out my recently deceased step father's bank account. When we explained what we wanted, the assistent didn't come over all emotional, but just said, "Ah yes, you need to do this, this and this". No emotion, end of story. We had enough emotion for everyone. Just be calm and matter of fact. At least on the outside, whatever you are feeling inside.</p>

<p>Best of luck.</p>

<p>Alan</p>