Family groups

rob_piontek

<p>I need help or tips on taking family portraits, in particular with small children say 1-2 years old. What I'd like are some techniques or tricks to get everyone smiling naturally and looking at the camera. Any books you can recommend? Generally I am pretty good with kids, working 1 on 1 is no problem. But, when I'm 10 feet away and behind the camera it's difficult get them to smile at look at the camera in sync with everyone else. If I had some go to techniques or some kind of a plan it would really improve my confidence of getting the shot everyone wants. </p>

Get a warm floor and lay down with the camera next to the kids and shoot at their eye level while hand holding. Have mom just out of frame playing with her kids. You have to lower your studio lights and get a bit creative with them to properly light at that level.

<blockquote>

<p>I need help or tips on taking <strong><em>family portraits</em></strong><em>, in particular with small children say <strong>1-2 years old</strong>.</em> What I'd like are some techniques or tricks to get <strong><em>everyone smiling naturally and looking at the camera</em></strong><em>.</em> Any books you can recommend? Generally I am pretty good with kids, working 1 on 1 is no problem. But, when I'm 10 feet away and behind the camera <strong><em>it's difficult get them to smile at look at the camera in sync with everyone else.</em></strong> If I had some go to techniques or some kind of a plan it would really improve my confidence of getting the shot everyone wants.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The first element is have the child <strong>comfortable</strong> – that means in the arms of or close to the one other person they are most comfortable with – now that could be most likely Mum or Dad – but be observant as to which one the Child wants the most that day – and not necessarily what Mum or Dad want.</p>

<p>The next element is avoid / be aware of any sideways <strong>distractions:</strong><br /><strong>– either in the studio / location: </strong><br />For example - I was in a shopping centre the other day and a kiosk was set up for kid’s portraiture.<br />A little boy about 2½ was waiting his turn with his Mum – he was fascinated with the dolly lighting stand which was spare – but placed at the side of the booth – he was playing with it.<br />When he sat up on the “Beanstalk” Prop, neither the Photographer nor the Mum could not get him to look forward to the camera – all that was needed was to move the big dolly stand to behind the camera - which I did.<br />This was a production line shoot – and the Photographers are trained to "shoot F/8" and "this distance" with two soft boxes "here" and "here" and all they do is then make funny faces at the kids – but they are not trained to be aware of what is "going on".</p>

<p><strong>- or in the group itself:</strong><br />It is important that the Child is not distracted by elements in the group. The internal arrangement is important. For example if the Child has an older sibling, it is often best to have that sibling more toward the front, rather than toward the side of the little Child.<br />It is easier to make the small child look “UP” toward you, than to make them look sideways if they are fascinated with what the older brother or sister is doing.</p>

<p>The third bit of advice is to <strong>engage the older siblings before the shoot</strong> and treat them as the adult helpers.<br />Explain that the best help they can be is by setting the example of attending to themselves looking at the camera – rather than turning to “HELP” the little one.<br />This <strong>engagement can be made with Mum and Dad also.</strong><br />I explain that it is my job to engage the little child, not theirs.<br />If you have all the big players on side, then your most work is to engage the toddler and by osmosis that is easier if the little one feels that all the rest of the family is “doing it”. <br />So get the big people sorted and the little one will usually follow suit.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>One to two year old's, have nano second attention spans. And getting them to do anything (pose or smile) can be impossible. Just keep this in mind at all times. You need to have all other elements of the picture under control before bringing them in. This means lighting, composing and posing of the adults, all needs to be lined up like ducks. You then add the kids , who have hopefully been kept amused by others during the above time consuming process.</p>

<p>Thank you for the suggestions. The example of moving the light dolly behind the camera was a good idea, and along the lines of what I'm looking for as far as tips go. What are other things I can do to engage the child, while in a group portrait situation?</p>

<p>William W. covers it. Basically, you have to out-psych them. Also depends somewhat on how many 'little kids' there are, and their relationships to each other and any older kids or babes in arms. Also whether they are old enough to understand verbal input, or can keep walking or squirming out of the picture.</p>

<p>The best would be to have another person be the kid wrangler. If you can't do that, some kind of easy to manage (by one person) 'surprise' can help, but you may not get smiles. I've used puppets, noise making flashlights, stuffed animals, stickers (bribe), quarters (bride), trying to quack or talk like Donald Duck (not that they know that is these days), and asking silly questions.</p>

<p>If you watch professional kid wranglers, they often have a large feather (think cat toy on a stick) or fuzzy stuffed animal, which they tickle the kid with and step back out of the picture quickly. Or, what I've found works well for some unknown reason, is a plastic hammer I have that makes funny noises when you whack something with it (like cartoon noises). I use it to tap my own head (gently) and make funny faces. Cracks kids up every time. Adults too. But you have to work fast--it doesn't last.</p>

<p>The worst situation I've ever been in was being told to take a picture of about 7-8 kids of varying ages (all the grandkids), several of which were toddlers just started walking. I couldn't get the toddlers to stay put. Finally, grandma came out with a balloon and pin and I got my shot. Just the anticipation made them all stop and watch, and grandma made most of them smile. But you couldn't pull this off yourself.</p>

<p>And no, I don't know where you can get that hammer now. I got it at Target years ago. It isn't for sale either--it's worth its weight in gold. It actually came bundled with another toy which died a few years back--a 'microphone' that played snippets of kid's songs. You could take the same idea and play and sing along to songs, although that drags the session down a bit.</p>

<p>Nadine's list of toys like hammers that squeak - (we have one too) made me think of another point to mention.</p>

<p>IF the child has a favourite "security toy" (e.g. a teddy) or "security object" (e.g. a pillow slip / handkerchief) then it is best if they DO NOT bring it to the studio.</p>

<p>IF they DO bring it - do NOT take it from the child to "attract their attention" - it might work, but I have seen this ploy (when Mum did it) end in tears which would not be switched off.</p>

<p>WW <br>

PS: Grandma and the balloon and the pin – ANTICIPATION of the “BANG” – I have now got that idea filed away – THANKS!</p>

<p>Yep--I agree with that. Leave the security blanket toys at home. Something completely new but interesting is better.</p>

<p>Another photographer also told me that if you laugh and smile in an exaggerated manner, kids will also smile and laugh. Never worked that well for me, but I'm sure you have to be the 'silly uncle' type. I have to work hard to be silly. I'm just a more serious type, I guess.</p>

<p>Also be sure kids can see what you have. If you are standing 10 feet away from them, and you have a tiny whatever--it won't work.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>This may not help you, but it helped me. We have a cat outside of our studio that adopted us about 4 years ago. Best cat ever. You can do anything with this cat and she will just pur away. I had a family portrait with 3 yr. old twins, a 5 yr. old who is autistic, and the parents. Let me just say it was a little bit wild. I finally got them in a somehwhat traditional "pyramid" pose when the other photographer who was helping with the light and shim and stuff grabbed yellow cat and "snuck" up behind me, acting like he was going to sit her on my head. Instant attention followed by a few frames with them pointing, followed by the 20x24 studio sample hanging in the other room. I think it is all about quick distractions and good timing. And LOTS of patience. </p>