Fall Color at Great Smoky NP

michael_reichmann1

During September and October I'm residing in Atlanta and shooting

extensively in Great Smoky and the mountains of northern Georgia.

I'd enjoy hearing from anyone who is familar with the area and has

any special suggested locations. I'll probably be getting up there

once a week between now and the end of October so if I can provide

folks with updates on the status of fall color during the next 4-5

weeks I'll be pleased to.

I have a small portfolio and some write-ups on my site from my first

visits there last week. It can be found at http://www.luminous-

landscape.com/appalachia.htm

Michael

www.luminous-landscape.com

<p>The AJC article (which I just looked at) mentions a book named something like <i>Waterfall Walks in Georgia, Tennessee and Alabama</i>. Don't remember the exact name. Anyway, the point is that I have the book and it's pretty good. The other two mentioned are not as good.

<p>As for stuff in north Georgia... many of the waterfalls have large wooden decks built near them for viewing. Great if you have a troop of kids. Not great for photography. Better is western North Carolina. Anyway, here's a north Georgia waterfall I liked (it's in the book).

<p><a href="http://www.blackpiano.com/nosh/imagetemplate1999.html?0016_36-17_HeltonCreekFalls_1024x768.jpg">Helton Creek Falls</a>

Michael:

Check out Black Rock Mountain State Park just north of Tallulah Gorge in Clayton, GA. I've gotten some great fall color shots from the overlooks at this state park. Also, just over the GA-NC border from there is Highlands and Cashiers, NC. Very pretty area with several waterfalls.

Doug Andrews

I strongly recommend Kevin Adams' North Carolina Waterfalls: Where to find Them and How to Photograph Them (or someting like that). AVailable through Amazon.com, I think.

This is a great guide to finding waterfalls and also to shooting them, from a first-class photographer. He's also got a great book on photographing Southern mountain wildflowers.

Best, he has photographs of most of the falls he describes, rates them in terms of their photogenic character, and tells you how hard it is to get to them.

Thanks to all for your comments.

I have the book "Waterfall Walks and Drives in Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee" and though it has its problems it has proven to be a tremendous resource.

I've also visited Black Rock State Park, which Doug recommended, but did not find the overlooks all that interesting.

I recently hiked before dawn to the summit of the Brasstown Bald, the highest point in Georgia, and was rewarded with a most spectacular view of the valleys filled with fog.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/northern_georgia.htm

Thanks again.

Michael