Fake Canon DSLR's floating around?

<p>I am wondering if anyone knows if there are fake Canon dslr's that have been manufactured in the East, particular China? I have a friend there on work and he says that he can get a 5D Mark 2 for $700 from a 'source', i know that China has a reputatiopn for producing fake products and pretty close to the original product.</p>

<p>If they are fakes, then i am wodering if they are of the same standard as the original, in terms of performance, IQ, build etc... Anyone have any experience about this?</p>

<p>"is it a disguised nikon?"</p>

<p>Nah, there's no way you could make a Nikon look that good. :-))</p>

<p>Stolen gear is a good possibility if the "source" is a person. If the "source" is an on-line dealer, it's a rip-off scam. Either way, you lose....</p>

<p>"Nah, there's no way you could make a Nikon look that good. :-))"</p>

<p>Sure you coulld. Just drag a D40 behind a car for a few days and then spray paint the lens white. That way the lens will match your belt and shoes.</p>

<p>On a more serious note - i wouldn't touch a Canon 5D Mk II for $700. It really is too good to be true. It is an excellent camera (my brother-in-law has one) and well worth paying a legitimate price.</p>

<p>If someone would have the technology to reproduce such hig-end quality cameras, I don't think it would be making copies, but launch their own line of products instead. Selling a $3000 value for $700 sounds like a product fallen off a truck.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I see. Is there a way of checking the serial number on the camera to see if the camera is indeed a fake or an original stolen camera?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Stuart, your best strategy is not to figure out how to see if the cameras are stolen/fake (the latter is pretty much an impossibility) but to run, quickly in the opposite direction from whoever is promoting this "deal."</p>

<p>There is no way it can be anything but bad news. Either the camera is stolen or the "vendor" is preying on the fact that certain people will put aside logical disbelief when faced with a "deal too good to be true."</p>

<p>Sort of like you seem to be doing. :-)</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>Last week the NY Times ran an article on counterfeit cell phones titled, "I<a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/28/technology/28cell.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=counterfeit%20phone&st=cse">n China, Knockoff Cellphones Are a Hit</a> ." Apparently they're everywhere. That said I think a digital slr is a bit more complex than a cell phone and my guess is low priced dslrs is more likely due to "grey market" or outrght black market than to counterfeiting.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /> <strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>Hey, I want a Chinese knockoff beamer!</p>

<p>No knockoff DSLR models but I have seen cheap plastic cameras with a knockoff Canon logo. Even had a fake pentaprism housing but no pentaprism. I saw a pair of knockoff "playboy" jeans. The bunny logo was missing one ear...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I agree with Henry - there is NO way to fake a 5D...not if the buyer is minimally aware of what is purchasing.</p>

<p>As for prices that are "too good to be true", we get gazillion posts about that here and the answer is always will be the same: Any seller who claims to have items FAR off the normal market prices is a scam. Never fails.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I see. Is there a way of checking the serial number on the camera to see if the camera is indeed a fake or an original stolen camera?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm trying to work out why you'd want to know which, and in which eventuality you'd be prepared to buy the item in question.</p>

<p>I can't believe no one mentioned this yet. This is an very old scam from Brooklyn NY. I guess they are just starting to do it in China. </p>

<p>First they sell you a real 5D but with the battery, charger, and cables removed. Once they get your Credit Card Number, someone will call you and inform you that you need the "deluxe package" which includes those items but costs $6,000. Or, they sell you the pieces alacarte' like $2,000 for the battery and $3000 for the charger and so on.</p>

<p>Now here's the kicker, after they get your cash for the "should have been included" items, they sell your Credit Card Number to identity theives in Nigeria. Run,.....Run Away...</p>

<p>It will be a fake. Please pay attention. Even google sidebars give links to scam sites.<br>

The link to Anepax is listed as we speak.<br>

Try : <a href="http://www.anepax-world.com/">http://www.anepax-world.com/</a> ( it was <a href="http://www.entacdirect.com">www.entacdirect.com</a> first)<br>

And then try : <a href="http://www.futureshop.ca">http://www.futureshop.ca</a> , the last ones are the real people.<br>

They do not accept credit card and the verisign does not link to Visa :-§<br>

Good luck but pay attention !<br>

Arjen</p>

<p>"There is a sucker born every minute". Pretty funny how most assume it is a real 5D MkII, or a copy that has the same capabilities. It may look somewhat like a 5D MkII, but it could have anything under the hood so to speak. I would be very suspect that it is a real 5D MkII. While it is a possibility that it is stolen. My bet would be that it is a knock off, where there is no real criminal implications for the 'source'.</p>

<p>I'd be interested in seeing it just out of curiosity of what could be passed of as genuine. I bet it would look fairly convincing and most would not be able to tell from just looking at it, unless they have handled the original a lot. I'd be interested in seeing if it could really take canon lenses, or how many mega pixels it really has. A lot of people would not know 5mp from 20mp, and would not know a canon lens from a knock off. Even then, a good con man can talk people into just about anything.</p>

<p>Save your money, unless $700 is an entertainment deal for you. And don't let your curiostiy get you into a bad situation.</p>