Fair price for FD 85/1.2 L?

ricardovaste

<p>pretty simple to check online dealers and eBay on line. keh.com has two of them Kevin Cameras has half a dozen (but his are the Asperical version and more expensive) if your in the UK try Jessops classic shop there in London.</p>

<p>You made me curious, so I checked.</p>

<p>In the current eBay listings only two of these have come up recently. One of them went unsold at a BIN price of US$849, a sign that the price was too high. The other one that did sell went for $455. One sale does not make a trend, but checking for offers from dealers like KEH will give you a retail price concept.</p>

<p>I see. It seems to range from £300-£650+. Why is the aspherical version more expensive than the L? Around £350-£400 seems about average.</p>

<p>Jessops are pretty awful these days and haven't had any second hand stock for years, that I know of.</p>

<p>Is there a shop that stocks a lot of FD glass in the UK? I can't import from the US - it would be it very expensive.</p>

<p>I follow prices on the 85/1.2L, because it's one of the few FD lenses which I may still buy. There is still demand for this lens, and prices have remained reasonably consistent. £450 is in the right ballpark IMHO. When they auction for less than USD$500, it usually means there are minor problems with the glass, or heavy wear. I believe KEH often has one or two good copies between USD$600 and 700.</p>

<p>What is unusual is that ebay prices often go as high or higher than KEH prices, even with all the squalor and uncertainty associated with ebay. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>What is unusual is that ebay prices often go as high or higher than KEH prices, even with all the squalor and uncertainty associated with ebay.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's what I find with most glass that I 'want' so always try to go to the 'shops' first. Sadly, there don't seem to be any second hand stores in the UK that have a great deal of FD glass. I think your price estimate is spot on, the ones that i saw for lower have the odd mark here ot there (which personally doesn't bother me).</p>

<p>I think I will try and get one of these in the next couple of months. It's second on my list after a Nikon 28/3.5 PC lens.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>ebay prices often go as high or higher than [xxx]</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That has always been the case. There are many reasons: sometimes newbies have no idea what the price should be and will pay much more for something that they could buy for less from Adorama or B&H new. Other times, two people who each really want that thing will bid something way up (happens in live auctions too). Ignorance and enthusiasm are an expensive combination when you're buying something.</p>

<p>Buying for bargain prices on eBay or in any auction requires knowledge of what the item is really worth and considerable patience. Bid as high as you will go, and then don't go higher. Rare items like the 85mm f/1.2 are very hard though.</p>

<p>The reason the Aspherical version sells for more is that it is the better lens then the L it is also the earliest version of the lens so hold more collectable value.<br>

same reasons the 55mm f1.2 Aspherical is the most expensive Std. Lens you can buy for the Canon FD mount. Easily surpassing the 50mm f1.2L nFD which if you can out shoot your better then 99.9% of photographers.</p>

<p>That surprises me... generally, as technology improves, lenses usually get 'better'. Did Canon switch to the 'L' design because some materials were uneconomic? What are the differences in the final picture at 1.2?</p>

<p>I'll look for the L then, as the earlier version will be out of my price range.</p>

<p>This thread seems to indicate some confusion as to which is really 'better': http://www.photo.net/canon-fd-camera-forum/00Cnj8</p>

<p>Richard, the 85/1.2 Aspherical and 85/1.2 L share the same optical formula, but the earlier lens has nine aperture blades as opposed to eight for the later lens. This will theoretically make a difference in the bokeh of the two. In practice, however, you'd be hard pressed to tell any difference between them.</p>

<p>I have both lenses, and I would recommend that you get either.</p>

<p>Hi Mark,</p>

<p>Thanks for the info. I too can't imagine there would be any real difference between the two based upon that, and I agree I would be lucky to get either. I was looking at one but it was just sold. Went for £399, it was the L version, but I don't think it had a hood and there was fungus on the rear element... certainly seems high for one with fungus on! I guess maybe there hadn't been one on ebay for awhile in the UK, that usually increases the price.</p>

<p>I concur with Ben's description of Jessops :)</p>

<p>Oh, and I think Mark is being greedy with too! Give me one ;)!</p>

<p>Last time I was in Jessops Classic was 2003 I think so sorry for the old info. I bought a very early 135mm f3.5 chrome nose there. Haven't been back to England since that trip I just assumed they would still be in business.</p>

<p>My god now I know where all the nice lenses are hiding... you guys have bought them all! Is there anyone here in the UK/EU that would consider selling me one/parting with one at some point in the future?</p>

<p>Ben, I think you're right on the fungus. I'm shocked it went for that much, given the fungus (even though it was minor).</p>

<p>There's no such thing as "minor fungus" Richard, some misguided person will have bought it thinking they could dismantle the lens on their kitchen table and clean it off, I suggest you check Mifsusuds Or Ffords websites regularly they sometimes have them, they still command high prices because the digital brigade modify them to use on their cameras.</p>

<p >Confirming Mark Pierlot's observation about the optical formula in the two 85/1.2 lenses is this excerpt from a full listing of FD lenses prepared in 1994 by Chuck Westfall of Canon USA:</p>

<p > </p>

<blockquote>

<p >FD85/1.2 SSC Aspher., 1/76, Breech, Aspherical, SSC, Floating System<br />+FD85/1.2L, 3/80, New, Same optics, SSC, Float, New Mount</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Richard, there's no reason not to buy from KEH, just 'cos you're not in the US. I, too, am UK-based and bought a couple of things (lens + winder) from them recently. Prompt delivery; well-protected; and very, very clean. <br>

There's no need to pay anything for an 85mm f1.2L with fungus: they come up on eBay pretty frequently, and a good specimen will typically go for around £415.</p>

<p>Don't forget Richard that goods imported from none EEC country s like the U.S.A. are subject to customs duty, and V.A.T , the way the Inland Revenue do the calculation is to add the V.A.T. first then you pay Customs duty on that total figure, so in effect you are paying a tax on a tax ! so what might appear a good deal on the face of it might not be by the time you get it home, I suggest before you buy anything you check what the current duty will on it with the customs people.</p>

<p>The lens hood is a good idea for this lens but they are not the best design ever made! You cannot keep it on the lens and with age the screw become rather weak so I take mine off once I have taken some shots. I think they are hard to find used and quite expensive. If KEH know you they will ship to a hotel in the USA rather than a home address. I do this with them (and others) as I live in Canada and by shipping to a hotel in the USA I save a lot in courier fees (the shipping cost increases dramatically when you cross the border) and also in sales tax if it is below my import limit when I fly home.<br>

KEH has three in right now from $600 to $850. personally i would be very careful buying a lens like this on ebay as they are mainly quite old and fungus etc... will be hard to see on ebay. Anything that looks much cheaper than KEH is probably suspect.<br>

Mark I do not have the 24 F1.4 (just the F2) which (along with the 14 F2.8) is the other ultra desirable FD lens</p>

<p>My advice Richard is wait until they have one at a U.K Retailer like Ffords or Mifsuds where you get a warranty with them, it's worth paying more for a E++ example, I bought mine new more than twenty years ago and although it cost an arm and a leg at the time it's been worth every penny.</p>