failing autofocus system? or just never noticed the line?

jamespjones

<p>I just noticed that on my Fuji S5, which is basically the same as a D200 on autofocus, there is a very faint line that extends from the selected auto-focus point out to the edge of the frame in the viewfinder. Whichever is the selected point the line extends to the closest side. It is extremely faint but now that I see it I think it may become annoying. Have I just never noticed it before? I'm not using the dynamic autofocus - this happens in group or single point autofocus. I turned the grid on and off to see what happens but it exists either way.<br>

thanks,<br />James </p>

<p>These lines are mentioned in the D200 manual on page 7 - they are fine wires needed to control the LCD overlay and the AF area indicators. Not all Nikon cameras have this overlay - on some the indicators are etched into the focusing screen.<br>

<br /> Quote from the D200 manual:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Owing to the characteristics of this type of viewfinder display, you may notice fine lines<br />radiating outwards from the selected focus area, or that the display in the viewfinder turns red when the selected focus area is highlighted. These phenomena are normal and do not indicate a malfunction.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Never even noticed that on any of the Nikon autofocus SLRs and dSLRs I've handled. It may be like those fine lines on aperture grille CRTs. You may not notice 'em for awhile, but once you see 'em you can't unsee 'em. <em>(Right now I'm scowling at the pair of fine horizontal lines on my NEC MultiSync aperture grille CRT.)</em></p>

<p>Thanks Dieter<br>

ah yes... sitting on a lonely page (22) of text at the very end with an asterisk - though I would have liked the phrasing of radiating outward more - that makes it more obvious. From the Fuji S5 manual:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>* Due to characteristics of the LCD used in the Vari-Brite<br /> focus area display system, a thin line outside the<br /> selected focus area may also be displayed or the entire<br /> viewfinder may be illuminated in red under certain<br /> conditions. These are not malfunctions.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><strong><br /></strong></p>