F90x what 35mm lenses can I use?

sarah_michelle_larsen

<p>Hi. <br>

I am looking for a 35mm fixed lens for my Nikon F90x (S). <br>

There are a lot of lenses with different numbers and names. I just want to know what not to buy and what fits my camera. <br>

I need an AF lens old or new. <br>

Which ones are for modern cropped digital cameras that I cant use? <br>

I have looked around but did not find much.<br>

Thank you.<br>

S. </p>

<p>Hi Sarah. Sticking to Nikon lenses (ignoring third-party lenses, which have their own way of naming things):</p>

<ul>

<li>Lenses which are specifically for small-sensor digital cameras, and don't have enough coverage for a full frame of film, say "DX" somewhere in the lens description. Sigma lenses with the same feature are labelled "DC"; you'll have to read the small print for other brands.</li>

<li>A lens that says "G" in its description won't let you adjust the aperture, so it's only really useful in program and shutter priority modes. The F90x needs you to use the lens to set aperture for aperture priority and manual modes, and "G" lenses don't have the ability to do this. If there's a rotating ring with numbers on it near the camera end of the lens, this is what you're looking for (and what "G" lenses are missing).</li>

<li>A lens with "AF-S" in its description uses a motor in the lens rather than the camera, and will focus more quietly (and usually faster, and be a bit nicer to use). The F90x's motor is apparently a bit loud, so you might want to consider this, but AF-S lenses tend to be the latest versions and a bit more expensive.</li>

<li>A lens with no "AF" of any sort anywhere in the description won't autofocus - and also won't meter in all modes.</li>

<li>You can use lenses which say "VR" (vibration reduction - anti-shake), but the vibration reduction won't work on your camera, so it'll work like a lens without this feature.</li>

</ul>

<p>So: you want, somewhere in the description, to see: "AF" or (preferably, but more expensively) "AF-S", but avoid "DX" and (probably) avoid "G".<br />

<br />

There are more details about which manual-focus lenses will work on your system, but I'll ignore them since you asked about autofocus lenses. I hope that answers your question.</p>

<p>Oops - I read "35mm" and thought "film camera" not "focal length", hence the unduly complex answer.<br />

<br />

Wouter is quite right. The current version calls itself something like "Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm 1:2 D". For future reference:<br />

You <i>don't</i> want the "Nikon DX AF-S 35mm 1:1.8 G" because it's a DX lens, so you won't get a picture over the whole frame (black borders).<br />

You <i>probably don't</i> want the "Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm 1:1.4 G" because it's a "G" lens and therefore you won't be able to use manual or aperture priority mode properly. (It's otherwise a nicer lens than the f/2, but it also costs a fortune.)</p>