F801s - strange and erratic meter readings

mdma

<p>Hi<br>

I need some help understanding whats going on with my F801s today. I havent used it for a few months, and I just attached a 50/1.8 AIS Nikkor and switched it on. Straightaway the exposure compensation logo started flashing, despite the exposure compensation being set to 0.0 (Hold down the button to bring it up right?)<br>

Then there are the readings - it'll tell me that cloudy <strong>2pm daylight</strong> outside at iso 200 and f1.8 is <strong>2 seconds</strong>, but also indicate that the same setting <strong>indoors</strong> is "Hi" - that is to say beyond <strong>1/8000</strong> maximum shutter speed! Switching it on/off/replacing the batteries doesnt help much - the readings are then just reversed, but that doesnt tally with what my D3100 is reading.... Changing the metering modes doesnt make a difference (though it cant matrix meter with an AIS lens) <br>

All of that is in Aperture priority. The F801s wont work with an AIS lens in Program - the P just flashes. Worringly, this is also happening in Sutter Priority, ignoring any of my dial inputs. The camera becomes responsive in Manual mode but it's readings seem very low - 1/60 outside (f1.8 iso 200 again) while my D3100 + AFS 35/1.8 is telling me its more like 1/2000.<br>

No film is in the chamber, but thats never stopped correct readings before.<br>

I would appreciate any thoughts on this strange behaviour, thanks.</p>

<p>Well everything is now back to normal...must be dementia setting into the old girl!<br>

<strong>Raymond</strong>, yes you're quite right about AIS and S/P, I havent used it in so long I just assumed S worked like A. But now with reasonable meter readings back, the "S" flashes just like "P".<br>

<strong>Eric</strong>, thats assuming I want another F801s! I bought this one on a complete whim, waking up from a dream where I had one (it was 1988 in my head). A quick google search showed a mint example boxed with multi-control back for £30, so I thought it was destiny and bought it. <br>

As a camera though its somewhat lacking, my EOS 5 is considerably better for my purposes. Still, its worth keeping (if working) to use my dads set of Nikon AIS 28/50/135mm primes when I want to.</p>