F5 and 70-200 FL

mark45831

Thought I would try this lens the 70-200 2.8 FL on my F5 but the only control I can adjust is the Shutter in manual or SP, Aperture stays at 2.8 no matter what mode I put it in, I can put the 24-70 2.8G and all works fine. anyone happen to try this? not that I plan on using this combo, feels like Im carrying a small car around, lol,

The 70-200mm f/2.8 VR(I) and 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII are 100% F5 compatible including VR and aperture actuation.

Unfortunately, no Nikon film camera is compatible with E aperture lenses unless used wide open. Ken Rockwell would say "why would you care-you buy f/2.8 lenses to use them wide open" but I can't say I agree on them.

Yours is the first report I've read with specifics of how the lens "interacts" with new(ish) film bodies. I'm actually weirdly happy to know that an F5 recognizes that it can't stop the lens down and locks it at wide open rather than letting you change the aperture but not actually close it.

Check this discussion from about 5 years ago:

Nikon E Lenses

With three exceptions, all Nikon DSLRs introduced on and after August 23, 2007 are fully compatible with E lenses and can control their aperture. That August 23, 2007 date was when Nikon introduced the D3 and D300 simultaneously. After 2007, only the D60 and D90 (introduced in 2008) and D3000 (introduced in 2009) cannot control the aperture of E lenses.

The last film SLR introduced was the F6 from 2004. The D5 was from 8 years before that, 1996.

Check this discussion from about 5 years ago:

Nikon E Lenses

With three exceptions, all Nikon DSLRs introduced on and after August 23, 2007 are fully compatible with E lenses and can control their aperture. That August 23, 2007 date was when Nikon introduced the D3 and D300 simultaneously. After 2007, only the D60 and D90 (introduced in 2008) and D3000 (introduced in 2009) cannot control the aperture of E lenses.

The last film SLR introduced was the F6 from 2004. The D5 was from 8 years before that, 1996.

OK Shun these days you call everything D. You called the F5 the D5 and I also read that you called the Z6 the D6.

OK Shun these days you call everything D. You called the F5 the D5 and I also read that you called the Z6 the D6.

I was very careful to type F6 but then missed on the F5. :confused:

Actually in these days I call everything Z, but if I wrote Z5, there will be rumors about a new mirrorless body. :D