F4s with SB-900?

nick_davis

The SB-900 will "work" with the N80, F100, and F5 in the A mode or M mode, but there will be no TTL.

The F6 is, of course, the only Nikon film SLR that is iTTL compatible.

If you still doubt this, check out Thom Hogan's review. At the end of his review, in the Drawback section, 2nd bullet item, he specifies that the SB-900 is only iTTL compatible but not film TTL nor D-TTL:

http://www.bythom.com/sb900review.htm

Of course, you can also check the SB-900's manual. :-)

I was thinking of adding another flash to add to my collection. I currently use an SB-26, SB-24, and SB-50DX. I occasionally use one of these (not the SB-50DX though) on Auto with my D70s. I was looking for something that would work with all my cameras, especially the F4s and F100 since they are used the most. So you say the SB-800 is the one to check out? How about the Quantum flashes, are they iTTL and TTL compatible?

The SB-800 and SB-600 should be compatible with all of your film bodies and the D70s, which is iTTL. However, the SB-600 does not have the A mode in case you need to work with a non-Nikon TTL body such as the FE or FM2.

I think the SB-800 is your best bet for all-around compatibility.

I happen to have an SB-900 myself, and I think it is somewhat over-priced, but the price is coming down now.

Nick, I wouldn't automatically assume that saleman intentionally lied to you either. Nikon compatibility issues are definitely very complex; no only flash, all the lens compatibility issues are extremely confusing. Who would have guessed that all of a sudden you can now mount a pre-1977 non-AI lens right onto the D60?

Let alone store salespeople, I see some Nikon reps are confused by certain issues.