F4 or F100?

ann_overland

<p>I am considering buying one of these cameras. Both of them seem to be a good choice for a film SLR. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to which one I should choose? I have been looking at Ken's lens compatibility chart, so I am aware of which lenses they can use. </p>

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Totally dependent on what you'll be shooting. Apart from the recitations of features you'll likely get, I can say friends love the F4 for macro work since all controls are pre-command wheel knobs. The F100 is arguably among the best prosumer film bodies Nikon made in terms of features, ergonomics, and value. Unless you shoot NAI glass often, the F100 beats the F4. Pretty ones just seem to get cheaper every day.</p>

<p>I've been tempted to buy an F100 several times, but never pulled the trigger. I've got an F4 (in all three incarnations--I've got the three different battery grips), and I love it.</p>

<p>The F4 is possibly the best, most versatile (within the limitations of film) and toughest camera Nikon--or anyone, for that matter--has ever made. (I know it shouldn't bother me, but a friend of mine and I were both playing around with an F100 at a camera shop one day, and we were both appalled by the plastic rewind forks--true, they would likely *never* break, but it just seemed an unnecessary compromise on quality construction.)</p>

<p>All that being said, the F100 does have several advantages, which no doubt some aficionado will fill you in on in more detail shortly.</p>

<p>These would include:</p>

<ul>

<li>Smaller and lighter, but still has a battery grip available if you want the advantages that offers.</li>

<li>Can use the D information from lenses with that feature, for flash photography; this is one of the main weaknesses of the F4 (although, to me, not a huge one)</li>

<li>Can be fully used with G lenses, as the aperture can be changed by control wheels; the F4 can only be used in Program or Shutter Priority with these lenses </li>

<li>Ergonomically more similar to Nikon DSLRs, so probably easier to switch seamlessly back and forth between film and digital, if you shoot both</li>

<li>More advanced meter, which under *some* conditions will give you better exposures than the F4's (although it does a great job)</li>

<li>More autofocus points (although the F4's autofocus lock button is quite easily accessible, so focus-and-recompose works great--possibly even quicker than hunting for the proper AF point)</li>

<li>The camera is newer--probably easier to get repaired, spare parts are probably less of a problem to come by if needed</li>

<li>Unlike the F4, the F100 was not considered a fully "professional" camera, so a particular body may have been used less hard than an F4</li>

</ul>

<p>(Regarding that last--I used to live upstairs from a crusty old fella who worked for a few decades as a newspaper photographer in London. He said that when he left one job, he had a pair of F4s, which he just dropped in a rubbish bin. When I expressed shock and dismay, he told me they were basically beat all to hell--he said he used to literally run to keep up with stories, with the two cameras hanging around his neck, banging into each other constantly.)</p>

<p>Either camera will serve you *very* well indeed. My personal preference, despite its weaknesses, is the F4, it's obvious. However, you're probably going to find opinion leaning 80-20 or so in the direction of the F100--and for good reason. It's a heck of a camera, one of the most highly advanced film cameras ever made, and a steal at the prices they're going for nowadays. If you're not a hard-core old film addict like me, you'll likely find yourself preferring the F100 to the F4, and so my advice to <em>you</em> would probably be to go that way.</p>

• Like 1

<p>I have a quite different opinion. The F4 is a "transition type" model. It`s a fact that wheels and knobs were discarded after this camera. It`s also huge, the first one with AF (yes, I know there was a previous F3AF), which was too slow even when it was released. To my taste it is amongst the most beautiful Nikons, but sadly, also amongst the most uncomfortable and unpractical. It was my first Nikon to be sold, I got the equivalent to $400, no regret. I liked the F100 so much, so I currently keep the F6 which is just an improved model. Modern lenses on film are impressive.<br /> I`d advice you to get the F100, noticeably smaller, good red LED display, still with AA batteries; not as good for MF lenses, but instead, you get full compatibility with the current VR and G lenses.</p>

<p>I have them both and like them in different ways. The main user difference is the input method: traditional wheels and knobs for the F4 and electronic on the F100. If you have old glass the F4 wins. The F100 can use the VR feature of modern lenses, the F4 can't. If you also use Nikon digital cameras the F100 is laid out very similar to them.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Can anyone point me in the right direction as to which one I should choose?</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>If this is a serious question, then no, not without much more information from you on the type of photography you do, the lenses you have (or will likely purchase in future), your personal handling preferences, etc, etc. It's like asking <em>"Should I buy a Honda Civic or CR-V. Both seem like nice cars"</em>. No one can read your mind.</p>

<p>I have owned and used both extensively. Still have the F4. Ergonomically they are <strong>very different</strong> beasts. Someone could easily love the F100 but hate the F4, and vise-versa. Scrambled eggs or sunny side up? Both are good, but I have no idea what anyone else would prefer.</p>

The F100 and the N90 for that matter

are excellent. That said, the top of the

line bodies feel and operate like the

best. Hard to quantify but every pro

Nikon feels like it while the F100 is

clearly not. The same can be said of

the F F2,3,5 and 6 over the Nikkormats

and FM/FE etc. that were made

alongside them. As for slow AF the F4

still works fine for most things. For

years the F2 was to me the best thing

Nikon ever built. It still is but the F4 is

the only thing that comes close to it.

I've still got two of each.

Rick H.

<p>Great input here, folks. Thanks!</p>

<p>Will DX lenses be fine on a film SLR or does it have to be 'FX digital or FX film' lenses? I think landscapes and maybe some street photography will be it's main use. I don't necessarily need speed shooting with a film camera. Too scary :-)</p>

<p>I am leaning towards the F100, because it is smaller and lighter than the F4. I wish I was able to handle them both to see the difference first hand.</p>

<p>Dan, would you recommend the N90S over the F100?</p>

<p>No! If you use DX lenses on a film camera, you're gonna get vignetting (black, rounded corners--which may extend a good way into the frame). FX lenses are the way to go.</p>

<p>*I* wouldn't recommend the N90S over the F100. I mean, it's a nice enough camera--but the F100 is a lot better, in several ways. The only difference might be price, but even the F100 is cheap enough nowadays to make that almost insignificant.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>No! If you use DX lenses on a film camera, you're gonna get vignetting (black, rounded corners--which may extend a good way into the frame). FX lenses are the way to go.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I was afraid of that.</p>

<p>I do have my Nikkor AF 35-70mm f/2.8D lens, but I would want a wider angled lens to go with it. Any recommendations in that respect? Prime or zoom. IQ important. Nice if it could be a good lens on FX digital as well.</p>

<p>From a fisheye or 14mm to 35, there are many "wide angles".<br /> Maybe the cheapest/most "usable" is the 24/2.8AF, depending on the FX (12, 16 or 36Mp).<br /> The "newest" one, the 28/1.8AFS. An all purpose zoom, 16-35AFS, or even the 17-35AFS.<br /> The "best" in his class, the 14-24AFS. How wide is "wider" to you?</p>

<p>If only for film, any prime (14, 18, 20, 24, even the 28AFD) could be an option. If zoom, the 20-35/2.8AFD could be an interesting choice.</p>

<p>Depends on your budget. If you go with the F100, and money's no problem, there's this:<br>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/675829-USA/Nikon_2184_AF_S_Nikkor_24mm_f_1_4G.html">24/F1.4 AF-S G</a><br>

The mid-range option is this:<br>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/856064-USA/Nikon_2203_AF_S_NIKKOR_28mm_f_1_8G.html">28/F.8 AF-S G</a><br>

And if you're really on a budget, this one works great on film, and will be at least decent (if not spectacular) on FX digital. It has the advantage that you can probably find plenty of good used examples of this lens even cheaper than this, particularly at keh.com:<br>

<a href=""http:/www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/66980-USA/Nikon_1919_Wide_Angle_AF_Nikkor.html">24/F2.8 AFD</a></p>

<p>As Jose says, there are plenty of other options--I didn't bother with the zooms. Which is a bit odd, really, because I've found the 17-35/F2.8 AFS to be wonderful--I own one myself. And the older 20-35/F2.8 AFD is excellent on film, too, I used to own one of those. You can probably get the 17-35 for near a grand, the 20-35 maybe as low as $400 or a bit more, second hand.</p>

<p>Aside from the obvious differences the F100 has 20 or so Custom Functions, only a handful of which I find regularly useful, but very useful when needs arise. It also has a dedicated bracketing button. Bracketing on the F4 requires the MF-23 film back, and relative to camera-cost, it's a <em>very</em> pricey add-on. Most F4 bodies you'll find are the 'F4s', which approximates an anvil. To scale it down to F100 size, in other words to exclude the vertical grip, the F4 needs another pricey item, the MB-20 battery holder. $$</p>

<p>I'd need a pretty compelling reason to go w/ F4 (e.g. removable finder, 250 back, etc.) over an F100. I have both and much prefer the F100.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>...closer in use and feel to digital cameras.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><em>That</em> I think would be a pluss for me, Frank.<br /> <br /> If I should buy a prime, I think I would go for a 24mm. What do you choose, 24mm or 28mm? I think both will be fine for landscapes and street shooting.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Maybe the cheapest/most "usable" is the 24/2.8AF, depending on the FX (12, 16 or 36Mp)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Jose, what do mean by that? I don't think I will be buying a 36MP FX in the near future. I am still not sure whether I would want a FX DSLR or not.<br>

<br /> I might want to go below 24mm, but I am not sure how wide I should go. I don't like the details to get too small, if you understand what I mean.</p>

<p>Ann - I've owned both, sold the F100 after about 4 years, kept the F4, but haven't used it as much as I originally intended. It is truly a heavy beast, but I fashioned a hand sling for it so I could carry it on my several hour hikes without complaint. If you like the F100 and have had a chance to try it out and like it, go for it....it is a great camera, except for legacy lenses where it doesn't excel on all scores. I saw Dave's note above recommending the F5...talk about heavy beasts....but an unbelievably great camera....I just had my shutter box replaced after it took a tumble. Can't recommend it as a daily shooter for anybody without some upper body strength. Good luck in your choice.</p>