F3 compatible flash ?

bill_gibson2

Not expensive, and not on top of the camera (or almost, in the case of the F3)?

First get the correct adaptor for TTL flash with the F3, which I guess is the AS-17. Then,

get the SC-17 cord, and shoot holding the flash in your left hand. You can aim it as you

like, high, low, arm extended, close to you... Provided you have a lens with a smooth

focusing ring, you can focus with your middle finger from underneath the lens, the flah

resting in your palm, between your thumb and first finger. Of course, set the F3 to 1/60th

or slower. Then, aim the flash at will and fire away. Not very fast, but economical.

As for the speedlight itself, I guess the AS-17 lets you use a great number of different

models from Nikon in the SB line.

Have fun. Great camera, the F3.

My $0.02.

Bill:

Why not consider non ttl? I used a SB-16 along with a Sunpak over the years - shooting on "A" with the Sunpak was as good as the Nikon flash - may want to give it a try.

Could pick up a bracket & synch cord & a flash for about the same money as a SC-17 of which I've owned.

Good Luck

The best option is the AS-17 and SC-17 TTL cord. The other F3

only, non-ISO solutions are dead end now. Then again you might

get a good bargain on the older stuff. If you have other Nikon

cameras that use ISO hot shoes I strongly recommend the AS-17 and

SC-17 TTL cord. For speed lights I recommend the SB-24, 25, 26,

28, 80 or SB-800. The choice depends on what other Nikon cameras

you own.<br>

<br>

If you buy the AS-17 you dont need more than the SB-16B but

its rather big and clunky by comparison to all the others I

mention above. The SB-15 is a nice unit for the F3 with AS-17.

Its small and compact. The SB-17 speedlight is made to fit the

F3 without an adapter and can be flipped to sit over the lens. It

will not be very high. The SB-15 and SB-17 have modest power and

Im not recommending them as a primary speedlight for the F3.<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

This is what I use - it may not be the least expensive solution but at least you will have an alternative for comparison: Metz 45-CL4 + SCA344 module. This gives you a bracket held flash that provides manual, thyristor-auto and TTL for an F3, away from the camera 'top'. I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if these can only be obtained second-hand nowadays.

I second mr. Hartman's recommendation for a AS17 with the F3. I bought it with some strong reservations, considering my (not too good) experiences with the Metz 45 CT5 and SCA-adaptor.. But the thing works reliably for macro-photography and normal use.

Finally, the F3 has become an all-rounder. And because of its build-quality, it probably is just a bit better than the FM3A (which I would love to own as 'The Last Film Camera').

AH

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bill!

I have had an excellent experience for many years with the following combination: Nikon F3, Metz 45 CT-5, Metz C60 dedicated module for the Nikon F3 (alas now discontinued but occasionally surfaces on Ebay.) If you are also doing portraits, try the Metz Reflex Screen 60-23 or the later 60-33 vresion. Best results from any portable flash diffuser by a mile, and I have tried many types of these.

Hope this helps!