Eyepiece Magnifier Exists?

mwmcbroom

<p>I'm looking for an eyepiece magnifier that will fit onto the eyepiece of my EOS Elan IIe. Something like the old Magnifier R and S that Canon used to make for its manual focus cameras. Actually that magnifier was the same one, just had a different bracket for the Round or Square eyepieces. I have a Tenpa eyepiece magnifier for my EOS XS DSLR -- it provides about a 1.3x magnification, which isn't much, but it helps with that camera's squinty finder. And I was thinking I could slide it down on the Elan's eyepiece, but it won't go. The outer dimensions of the eyepieces look very close and I can get the eyepiece started sliding down onto the Elan's, but it freezes up after about 1/4" or so, and I don't want to force it any further, for fear of breaking the Tempa.</p>

<p>So -- I don't even recall Canon making an eyepiece magnifier for the 35mm EOS cameras, much less the digital. I guess Canon didn't see it as a big requirement since EOS cameras are AF and all. But I'm using the camera in a manual focus capacity -- trying to ensure accurate focus with a 600mm mirror lens, it helps having an eyepiece magnifier. Was there something like this made that might provide 2x to 3x magnification for 35mm EOS cameras?</p>

<p>I suppose that, if all else fails, I can just hold my Magnifier R up to the EOS's eyepiece and try getting things done that way. I reckon it'll be a little sloppy, but it should probably work.</p>

<p>Hey Bob, thanks very much for the info on the Angle Finder C. Whew, it ain't cheap, though, is it. Looking on eBay the prices are all over the place, ranging from $100 to over $300! Yow. In my search I came across one made in China, the Seagull Angle Finder which comes with 5 eyepiece adapters, and which lists among compatible cameras the Elan IIe. It's somewhat cheaper, at $84. Magnification on the Canon is 2.5x, right? The Seagull's is 1x and 2x.</p>

<p>I guess I'll play the waiting game on eBay, see if a cheap "C" pops up that I can snag. There's an auction for one that's sitting at $24 with 5 days to go -- that one might pan out to be a good deal. I've noticed these days that auctions on eBay often close for significantly less than the BIN prices. I dunno about the Seagull, but I'm guessing that it's probably reasonably well made, given the price it's selling for.</p>

<p>Wait one -- I just checked on the Seagull over at Amazon.com. $53 and it's gotten 4 stars average in reviews. One of the reviewers mentions that later versions of this Seagull angle finder come in 2.5x and even 3x magnifications. So this might be an acceptable choice. Amazon lists the Canon C at $247. Wow.</p>

<p>I don't think the bay of fleas is a good place to buy stuff cheaply. They take 15% off the top, so you can get better deals from KEH and so forth. I did get a Canon 300/4 for $500 a few weeks ago.. but that's bad luck for the seller (the lowest on KEH was $600).</p>