Eyepiece Diopter Lens for the Leicaflexes

I'm an eyeglass wearer and need some vision correction to focus my Leicaflex.

Some time ago Claude Batmanghelidj described adapting eyepiece diopter lenses

sold for Canon SLRs to the Leicaflex. I tried a different approach (not invented by

me) that has worked well.

I bought a set of dollar reading glasses at a local discount store. Conveniently,

these are labelled with the lens diopter and I chose the strength I require, in this

case +1.25.

I removed the lenses from the frames, and, with a fine saw, cut rectangles of size

to fit the recess in the Leicaflex viewfinder window, The lenses are fairly soft

plastic and cut easily; if the rectangle is slightly oversize, the edges can be

sanded to get a tight fit in the viewfinder window. A Dremel tool will also cut these

lenses easily.

I secure the diopter rectangle in place with a small frame of gaffer's tape. I've also

made retaining clips from thin aluminum sheet but I prefer the tape as it is more

compact.

Leica would not do it. They have sent me to a guy in Wisconsin (I believe) and he made the lens to fit my existing Leicaflex SL diopter holder for about $160. It is excellent glass, though, and properly positioned. I've sold the 'flex, though, and still have the diopter lens/holder. Can't remember the strength off hand (+1.50?), but if anyone out there wants this, I'd let it go for a song.