Eyeless photographer=better photographer?

daniel_lopez

Only in the sense of getting close to animals. I just had a Plain Chachalaca, Buff Bellied hummingbird, Kiskadee Flycatcher and a House Sparrow all within 20 feet of me! (My backyard- no film!!! @#$%*!!) I know eye contact with most animals is threatening for them, but these birds stayed where they were or fluttered about from branch to branch not really paying attention to me. Even though I was constatly staring at them (eye to eye if possible). I stayed for about 15 minuts untill I noticed I was sitting in an ant pile. :*) My question is whether or not sunglasses will allow you to look at animals with out them thinking you are a threat. I had sunglasses on hench my question. IF sunglasses help someone get closer to wildlife it will save us alot of money. Thank you.

generally birds and many other animals react to several stimuli

as far as threat goes:

size, motion and bodily movements. you are larger then they, carrying

something strange and you may be moving toward them and have reached

their "comfort zone" as i call it. kingfishers are great for that.

most small birds have paranoia built in to their life style.

others will allow you to get to the comfort zone then are gone.

city birds that are accustomed to people are more cooperative than

many of their rural counterparts as a rule.

if you wish to shoot back yard stuff then provide feeders and

bird friendly plants. go into your yard often to allow them to get

used to your presence.

to answer your question, i don,t think they care if if you have on

sunglasses or a swiss army helmet and combat boots. they are looking

at the total individual and what he/she is up to!

<p>

jeff hallett

There is a lot of literature reference to animals visual alert mechanisms "keying" on eyes, even when there is no active threat or motion to alert them. This is why many insects have protective "eye spots" to confuse predators and why most predators have striping on their muzzles (through the eye area) which camouflages their eyes.

<p>

Animals also seem to have a sense of being watched. I have seen deer, time after time, key on me with ears up and watch me intently because they seemed to sense me watching them. Usually, they will ignore me after several minutes if I do not move.

<p>

Wild animals generally fall into (2) groups when interacting with humans. The first group flees instinctively from all large animals to protect themselves or because they has history with and perceive humans as a threat. The second group is either acclimated to being around humans or has never seen a human before and does not perceive them as a threat. Many times small birds will approach you, if you are sitting still, whereas they will not let you approach them while you are moving.