Eye-fi cards and CF adapters

jaydesi

<p>Does anyone use an Eye-fi card with a CF adapter? If so, which CF adapter do you use? Ideally, you'll use it in a Canon camera, because there may be differences with other brands.</p>

<p>I decided to try this combo based on the suggestion by the Ask Adorama podcast with their Flashpoint CF adapter, and it doesn't work in my 7D; the camera doesn't recognize the card and can't format it. Foolishly, I discarded the packaging since I had no reason to suspect it wouldn't work. I'm not terribly upset over the $20 I lost from the adapter, but I don't want to keep buying more adapters until I find one that actually works. It does work with a regular SDHC card, just not the Eye-fi one.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I'd be astonished if you can find a CF adaptor that works. CompactFlash is a variant of the PCMCIA standard, which does support putting things other than memory on cards (I've seen CF video adaptors, wifi, etc.) but they all tend to need explicit device support - the simplest support only knows about memory and/or something that looks like an IDE hard disk (which is why Microdrives can work). Cameras would never expect to deal with anything but the disk/memory interface, so I'm sure that's all they'll support. Certainly I would expect a CF-to-SD adaptor only to expect to talk flash memory, not arbitrary hardware.<br />

<br />

SD cards also support some intelligence - EyeFi isn't the only one. However, EyeFi is unusual, I believe, in requiring only minimal camera support. But there's a difference between "minimal support" and "working through an adaptor if the camera doesn't know what it is".<br />

<br />

I could be a pessimist, but I think you're stuck with a very small brick, unless you want to stick it in a compact camera as a back-up. Sorry.</p>

• 1 month later...