Extra camera body

steve_stark1

<p>I have a Nikon D300 that I've had for years and has worked great for me. I almost dropped it in the Madison River in Yellowstone this fall and am considering an additional camera body just in case I do damage it. I thought maybe the D300S would be a good choice as I don't want to go to the FX format unless I have to.....primarily because of the expense and the DX lens non-compatibility. Anyone have thoughts on whether the D300S is the best choice or whether another camera body might be better? Also......anyone know if a new version of the D300 series is on the horizon? <br>

Thanks,<br>

Steve</p>

<p> The D300s would be very similar to what you already have, controls, memory card, batteries and probably the charger and cord. I do not have one so I am not sure if all that stuff is actually exactly the same. But it Seems like a good way to go to me. I suppose some folks will recommend the D7000 as it has a lot of good points. It has a pretty fat grip that I would not want to get saddled with. The D300 would seem to be the next camera to have a newer model come out but nobody knows when that will happen or what the specs would be like. One thing you could figure is a few more hundred on the price tag any way. They always make significant changes with each model somehow. </p>

<p>I -ALWAYS- bring a backup camera on trips like that, and also a kit lens 18-55mm VR for exactly the reason you brought up. Drop your only camera and you are SHUT DOWN! I would suggest buying a D7000. It will give you a bit more high ISO capability, more resolution, and more importantly it's smaller so you can pack it easier.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>I bought another D300 as a back up for my D300. I figured that someday if one died I would have parts for the other one. Plus, I only have to try and remember how to operate one camera:) When traveling, most times I keep a telephoto on one and a shorter lens on the other. Have had lots of problems with dust bunnies in the past, so I try not to change lens unless I have too.<br>

+2 on having a back up camera on a trip. I often have both of my cameras for most shoots. I brought both with me this afternoon while driving to the beach to shoot the full moon.<br>

When I went to Yellowstone, I even brought my old D70, just in case. I wanted to be prepared for the 2 week 6,000 mile road trip. If I do it again, I will stay 3 weeks. Too much driving and not enough shooting for a 2 week trip.</p>

<p>There were pictures of D7000 camera dropped down and damaged, here on photo.net. What an ugly scene...</p>

<p>If you plan to drop your camera, then get something that is made with solid chunk of metal body, or just have a drop/water proof camera. The top Lumix water/drop proof cameras have good picture quality, especially in good weather, and this could be your small backup camera.</p>