External USB microphone in a camera with no mic jack?

<p>I want to use aI want to use an external microphone or a headset like Logitech H330 in a camera with no mic jack (camera is Samsung TL 350 / WB2000). An USB microphone can be connected to the camera through its USB input but will it work without the mic jack. I am trying to get get rids of the background noise cricket (like sound) in video. (camera is Samsung TL 350 / WB2000). An USB microphone can be connected to the camera through its USB input but will it work without the mic jack. I am trying to get get rids of the background noise cricket (like sound) in video.</p>

<p>This seems very unlikely. The only reason a typical computer can use a USB microphone is because you install software that knows how to use it. The camera's USB port is for file transfers. If you don't see something in the camera's menu system (or owner's manual!) that specifically addresses this, then it's not going to work.</p>

<p>Matt has it exactly right. The camera and the mic are both USB slaves, they only have the software onboard to talk to a USB master (like a computer) about whatever it is that they do as slaves. To make matters worse, the USB mic expects the master to provide power, and the camera doesn't do that off its USB port.</p>

<p>Personally, I don't worry about it, I use an entirely independent recording system and sync things up later. But I shoot short "cinematic" bits of video. Are you doing short bits, or something long, like reportage or documentary shooting?</p>

<p>your best bet might be the <a href="http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=zoom+h1&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7042253174929672758&sa=X&ei=8awUTqboMYTSiAK07cW2AQ&ved=0CGwQ8wIwAA">Zoom H1 recorder</a>. it's the least-expensive 24-bit digital audio recorder out there, and the stereo mics are high-quality, unlike similarly-priced models from other manufacturers which need separate external mics for best audio (it's made by Samson, who make mics). you'll still have to sync the audio with the video in an editing software program.</p>

<p>the samsung TL350 wouldn't be my first choice for this app, though. you might be better off with a DSLR or hi-end compact with a hotshoe mount--you can mount the recorder to the camera hotshoe. you could also get a dual-mount hotshoe adapter for a monopod or tripod, but that might be unwieldy.</p>

<p>I second the Zoom. I'm still getting used to mine, but it should be everything you need. I'm sufficiently impressed with these little toys that I'm considering a more serious Zoom, an R16 or R24, as a replacement to my increasingly temperamental I|O 26.</p>

<p>It's a very useful little thing. Even the stock 2 gig card that comes with it gives you about 3 hours at CD rate (44.1k, 16 bit) and an hour at 96k 24 bit. I have an 8 inch foam windscreens for mine, they look hilarious, but they work.</p>

<p>And they run on eneloops. If only you could trim the clocks. Although that's not a problem if you only use one of them. ;)</p>