External Flash for Sony Nex-6? Sony F32M?

One thing that appealed to me when I bought the NEX-6 used recently was the standard hot shoe. Unfortunately, I have had zero luck getting it to work with any of my current flashes, which are all older and incompatible apparently from Nikon, but some have auto thyristor, but still - no luck. I have a Nikon SB-80dx, but I've read older higher voltage flashes can be a problem. I've tried using it as an optically triggered slave in auto mode, but it doesn't appear to allow that at all. I've also read past blogs all over the web about people having issues with flash for the NEX-6. When it came out, there were few options with the then "new" multi interface shoe other than a couple large flashes or you had to use the older minolta shoe flashes on adapter..

Eventually the F32M flash came out, but most reviews relate to its use with the then-current a6000, not the NEX-6. I think I'm ready to give up on my own gear chest and get a compact Sony TTL flash if it can fill my needs. My real question is probably has anybody had luck with the Sony HVL-F32M on the NEX-6?. Will it work in high speed synch mode on the NEX-6 when set as fill flash as is useful for daylight portraits? I assume I can control the flash for +/- 2 stops with the flash compensation on the camera and also use the regular exposure compensation to vary overall exposure +/-3 stops based on ambient light?

Thanks.

IMO, 250-300 dollars is WAY too expensive for that flash. I'm a long-time Sony user (NEX3, 6, and a6000). My advice. Get a 20-dollar Sony adapter and stick a Neewer or Yongnuo flash on your camera (or any other flash for that matter). Or just use the pop up flash to trigger the bigger one. Seriously, there is no need to spend more than 100 bucks on a flash. Chinese technology is your friend. Sony does indeed suck when it comes to hot shoes, compatibility, etc. That said, the NEX6 is probably my favorite Sony mirrorless and if mine hadn't been stolen I'd be using it today.

Thanks for the comments John. I agree that is in irritating that I have a Nikon SB-80dx that probably cost $400 14 years ago when I got it, looks like new and won't work on the NEX-6 in auto thyristor mode. I also have a Braun I bought used, but it only works in auto at f4 and f8, very limiting. I read a thread where somebody recommended an $89 Vivitar 385HV, which looks like a great value with lots of auto versatility, but I am very attracted to the high speed synch ability of a Sony flash for daylight fill.

I have enjoyed the NEX-6 like you. The sensor stabilization of the a6500 and even the better AF tracking of the little a6000 are appealing, but on balance, for the quality of the EVF, the overall build quality, the advantages of the 16 MP sensor with wide legacy lenses, and the affordability of the NEX-6 especially used, it is essentially the camera I hoped would be made 10 years ago, and now here it is. What's to complain about? (But I'd still like high speed daylight fill flash.)