extension tubes

grego1

I was wondering if there is anyone who uses extension tubes with EF 50mm f1.4 and EF 85mm f1.8... I need to get either some macro

lens (i was thinking about EF 100mm f2.8) or extension tubes. I won't be shooting real macros (ants, wasps, etc.). What i need it for is

close ups of makeup and some product shoots. Is there a need for macro lens when you consider my style of shooting? I have no

experience with that type of lenses (macro) nor extension tubes, so i would like to hear your opinions on auto focus performance, image

quality etc. Just to add, by what i read already "here & there" i'm leaning towards extension tubes...

regards. greg

Hello Greg:

I use the EF85mm f/1.8 with the Kenko DG Extension Tube Set (12mm, 20mm and 36mm tubes). I use it on a crop

sensor body and on an EOS3.

The lens works as per normal when mounted on the tubes (as far as AF and other lens/camera communications go).

I get very good results (see the Orchid image in my flower portfolio - that was stitched from three, very close-up

partial images - each one was about 1/3 of the width of the blossom - with the camera in portrait orientation.

I normally use this kit on a tripod with a focusing rail and find it very difficult to achieve good results

hand-held. I also normally use flash with this kit. With practice, one might get decent results, hand-held, with

the shorter tube mounted.

I have not experienced any "quality" problems with the Kenko set. They are well constructed, metal mounts, and

they fit well (snug). I have not used any other ext rings.

The attached table is a result of tests I did to determine actual magnification with a 10D camera, 85 f/1.8 and

the various combinations of tubes. For this test, I shot a metal ruler (graduated in mm), which was, as near as

I could make it, parallel to the film plane. Perhaps not pure science, but, good enough to tell me what I wanted

to know.

Cheers! Jay<div>00RNS0-85111584.jpg.1b4c21dc0f36bd35559f00e811a28000.jpg</div>

Jay,

thank you for your quick response. I was thinking about Kenko (mostly because it's twice cheaper than Canon here in

Ireland)... I don't think I would ever need to use full set of them to shoot makeup but anyway your info is great... Thank you

for posting the table...

regards. Greg

Adorama in NY City sells the ProMaster brand of closeup tubes (as well as Kenko and Canon tubes). They are priced quite a bit below the Kenko tubes, and seem to work well. I use them on a 50mm f/1/8, 100mm f/2, and 17-55 f/2.8.

There are some older tubes (Kenko and Canon) that will not allow mounting of EF-S lenses. So if you ever plan on using EF-S make sure they are the newer type that specify that they are compatible. Also, there are some tubes out there that have no electrical connections in them, so you can't set the aperture, as well as not having any AF or focus confirmation. Stay away from those if you're using Canon EF or EF-S lenses.

Jim,

probably i'll be buying something on ebay... NY is quite away and i'm not planning any trip over there until autumn next

year. oh and btw for future responses i'm using 5D so i wouldn't worry about EF-S lenses compatibility. Even though i still

have 30D, i don't have any EF-S lenses...

thank you for your input...

regards. Greg

Well, be a little careful about thee eBay tube sets you'll find... As George points out, many are even cheaper

than the Kenkos or Promaster, but are "dumb" tubes with no electronic contacts for the lens to camera

communication, which means no aperture control or auto focus.

That might be fine for some, as it appears George is happy with using them, but spending a little more for the

Kenko set was my choice.

With a set of three tubes, you get 7 possible combos for various magnifications. Note that the Kenko set and the

Promaster set are slightly different in lengths.

I also use three Canon EF tubes (two 12mm and one 25mm) and the Kenkos are every bit as good IMHO. I've heard the

stories about the Kenko - which are supposedly plastic while the Canon are supposedly metal - flexing with larger

lenses or lots of tubes stacked. Also have heard that the Kenko locking mechanism isn't as secure.

I don't really use a lot of stacked tubes as a rule, so can't comment very authoritatively on that.

But I have used the Kenko and the Canon between lenses as large and heavy as 300/2.8 and 500/4, and gripped xxD

camera bodies on a number of occasions. Haven't noticed any problems.

I've carried a tube set with every camera system I've used over the past 20 or 25 years. They are extremely

useful for everything from simply improving close focus to high magnification macros. I also have and use bellows

and helicoids in some other systems, both of which are essentially just variable extension tubes.

In my Canon "daily user" kit, I can definitely recall using tubes behind 20/2.8, 45 TS-E, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 100/2.8

Macro, 70-200/2.8, 180 macro, 300 and 500mm lenses. All worked fine. I ran a brief test using them with 24-70,

too, which is already pretty close focusing. It worked fine, too.

With certain lens/tube combos you may see some vignetting in the corners of the images, or even a bit of

softness. I notice both with 50/1.4, in particular.Quite a bit less with 85/1.8. Stopping down can help with the

softness in most cases, and sometimes helps the vignetting, too. The vignetting can also be dealt with in

Photoshop, if you wish. Or, you can simply use the effects to your advantage in some images.

thank you all for answers... I decided to go with Kenko...

Alan,

as i said in my original post, i will be using them primarily for makeup and product shots. From my own experience I

never shoot with aperture wider than f5.6 (typically it's f8-f11) so i believe that should help with vignetting. The other

issue that you've mentioned - the dumb tubes - is definitely a "no no" as i depend on AF in most cases.

Some people like to go very cheap but i'm not one of them - i was comparing canon 100mm f2.8 macro, canon tubes and

kenko tubes. My budget is let's say €160 but if it was necessary i could spent even €570 (for the lens), so i think Kenko

is good value for money...

Thank you guys once again.

regards, greg