extension tube with tripod collar

aizan_sasayama

The tripod collar from a 200mm macro 300mm f4.0 or 400mm f4.5 will fit the extenders and extension tubes perfectly if you place a piece of 3-4 ounce tooling leather between the tbe and the collar I use this setup with a 200mm f2.8IF nFD and 2X-B as a light weigh compact 400mm f5.6 for backpacking.

I have a photo of it here:

http://www.deadzoom.com/member/awahlster/CanonFDmini400mmf5.6nFDweb.jpg

These are not easy to find alone but a good excuse to buy a nice telephoto.

It is possible that one of the new EF mount lenses uses the same diameter collar.

The leather allows the tube to spin smoothly but it would most likely work with the proper thickness cardboard. or even felt.

What would a Nikon extension tube have to do with a Canon FD mount camera? The rare and hard to find Nikon lens to FD body adapter will sell for as much as $300.00. I think I have ever seen a FD lens to Nikon body adapter So trying to cobble this up would be a nightmare not to mention it would end up adding maybe more then 10mm to the extension.

The extension for the Vivitar Series 1 90 mm f/2.5 has a tripod mount. What I'm not sure of is whether it's an empty tube, or it has optics to match the lens - and if it has optics how well it would work with my Tamron 90/2.5 (49 mm filter). Anybody have experience with this?

Will

The Vivitar 90mm f2.5 is the earlier version of the Tokina 90mm f2.5 AT-X the dedicated 1-1 adapter does have glass in it and it won't work with the Tamron lens as they are very lens specific. As to being able to hollow one out I guess it's possible Finding one without having to buy the lens to get it could be hard. And if you have the lens what a shame to ruin the 1-1 adapter.

Thanks, Mark. I had gotten the impression that there were several 90/2.5 macros with the same optics, and was hoping that I could get away with mixing brands. Have you actually tried the Vivitar 1:1 with a Tamron?

KEH lists two of the Vivitar adaptors in FD mount, without the lenses.

No I haven't tried the Tokina/Vivitar design 1-1 adapter on a Tamron 90mm f2.5 the lenses are of different design. I can tell you that using the Tokina/Vivitar 1-1 adapter on a lens other then the one it was designed for produces very poor results. So I wouldn't see any reason to attempt the cross over. You might also run into a BIG problem in that most of the Tamron dedicated extenders and such do not have a body mount but have a mount that attaches in place of the adaptall mount on the rear of the lens. A draw back to the adaptall system in my opinion

Mark, thanks for the quick reply. I had thought/hoped that the Tamron used the same Kiron design as the other 90/2.5 macros made at that time. I've been using a 25 mm Canon tube with the Tamron, but it's a little too short to comfortably fit the tripod mount from my 400. The 50 mm extension tubes don't seem to show up on KEH very often, and I don't Ebay.