Extender for EF 70-200 f/4 USM

bv photography

Hello guys,

I am currently looking into buying a slightly used EF 70-200 f/4 USM

from a friend for my dRebel. I am just curious, has anyone tried the

extenders with it? I am not sure if I should buy 1.4x or 2x, or

nothing at all? I have no money for more expensive lenses. Advice is

appreciated. Thank you.

Bojan: I have both the 70-200 f/4 and the 1.4x TC, and as R N has stated, they work very well together. I don't have any experience with the 2x, although those that do who have commented here say that it isn't as sharp as the 1.4x, although it will get the job done, if you aren't too critical about sharpness.

I do know that you'll lose AF ability on the dRebel with the 2x and this lens.

Since you mentioned "or nothing at all" as an alternative, and you're budget limited, I'd recommend you just get the 70-200 for now, and live with it for a while. On the dRebel, it gives a field of view equivalent to 112-320. If you eventually decide you want more reach, you can always buy the 1.4x later. Or watch for a good deal on a used one here, at Adorama used, KEH, etc.

Good luck.

i am getting a drebel in a few months and am considering various lenses for it, could u tell me if the 70-200 f4 is too heavy for the drebel? is it a lens u can carry around when u are travelling? waiting to hear from you. cheers!

Pradeep,

It is a solid, well-built lens that does have some weight to it. However, I too use it with the 300D, and use it as my "carrying around" lens, with no problem. As sharp as this thing is, I don't mind carrying around a LITTLE bit of extra weight!!

Thanks Bojan, very kind of you. just another doubt, do u hand hold it with this combination? or do u use a monopod or tripod? and how does it balance with the 300D? do u hold the lens or the body when u are carrying it? might sound dumb but just wanted to know,. thanks :)