expodisc with flash sb900

ayman_al_lawati

<p>I have searched about "expodisc" before asking my question ...<br /> My question is ... Should I fire the flash when I do the custom white balance or not ?<br>

and also ... if I am in a wedding hall ... should I take the metering from the bride perspective or it is just take the metering from anywhere in the hall if the hall has the same lighting ?<br>

<br /> Thanks for commenting :)</p>

<p>frankly, I wouldn't bother. if the flash is the primary light, then WB to the flash. by time you're finished messing w/ all the moving around required since the Expo is an incident (how is that going to work w/ flash ?), you could just take a colorchecker reference shot and be done</p>

<p><em>"Should I fire the flash when I do the custom white balance or not ?<br />and also ... if I am in a wedding hall ... should I take the metering from the bride perspective or it is just take the metering from anywhere in the hall if the hall has the same lighting?"<br /></em><br>

Much more specific than "Can anyone teach me how to use the expodisc...."</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Can anyone teach me in how to use the expodisc in a wedding hall using flash ?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Here's how I use my ExpoDisc:</p>

<ol>

<li>Set camera to shoot raw</li>

<li>Set white balance to "auto"</li>

<li>Put ExpoDisc in camera bag and leave it there</li>

</ol>

<p>By the way, I have an ExpoDisc I'd be happy to part with at a reasonable price.</p>

<p>Will</p>

<p>Assuming you know how to set the white balance (push the wb button until it starts blinking in the lcd screen) Place the expodisc over your lens. Your exposure needs to be somewhat in the proper range, take a shot with the flash active. If all worked well you should get a "Good" message in your lcd; if not "No Good" will display. If no good displays check your exposure settings to be a little more in a proper range.<br>

Definately use the flash with the expo disc. When I try using the flash setting for white balance with my sb900 I get a little more blue than I like. You can dial around that, but I like the expodisc results - You have it, you may as well use it. BTW, I have had 2 sb900's and they both overheat with light medium workload; never had that problem with my sb800's do you have that experience?</p>