Explain image resolution vs. native resolution?

<p>Is it true that one should set a monitor to a monitor's resolution with the formula <strong>monitor's optimal horizontal pixel resolution/width of monitor screen</strong> <strong>in inches</strong>? Is so, can someone explain why this is important in terms of printing, doing post-processing work, or displaying jpeg files on the internet. I did read an explanation, but it was confusing to me. Either the explanation wasn't clear and succinct or I was very tired when I read it.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>It has nothing to do with printing really. About the only correlation I can think of would be using Photoshop's <em>View>Print Size</em> command which isn't very useful (got pulled out for awhile) and doesn't work<strong> at all unless</strong> you first set the correct size for pixel dimension of your specific display into the preferences. I'd ignore all this stuff ;-)</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

I think you are confusing two good pieces of advice

1) your display should be set to its native resolution.

2) in Photoshop, under general settings, take the width of the screen as measured in pixels and divide thatby the physical

width as measured in pixels to set its resolution. So if the screen has a horizontal resolution of 2000 pixels and the live

area of the screen is 20 inches wide, you set photoshop for 100 pixels per inch.

<p>Changed the Screen Resolution under New Document Preset Resolution in Units and Rulers and it doesn't have any affect on size or appearance of sharpness after making a new document or opening a photo. Didn't change the ruler size turning on rulers in the new document either. I even quit and restarted Photoshop.</p>

<p>But thanks anyway for the tip, Adrian.</p>