Expired Tri-X 220

Out of tens of shootings with outdated film (some up to 30 years old), I've only had a couple of episodes of things like weird graininess and so on, BUT if it's an important trip, I'd use fresh film (well, actually, I'd use digital, but that's not what you asked).

Out of tens of shootings with outdated film (some up to 30 years old), I've only had a couple of episodes of things like weird graininess and so on, BUT if it's an important trip, I'd use fresh film (well, actually, I'd use digital, but that's not what you asked).

For road trips, I take a digital camera and film camera, usually only one of the latter per trip.

Most of my film is in my basement darkroom, which stays cool, even in the summer, between about 50F and 65F (winter to summer).

But I also have some film in the refrigerator and freezer.

When I was young, I learned from my father about buying recently outdated film. The day after, it was usually sold half price, and obviously not much different from the day before. Color film might be dated a year or so out (if you buy new), and black and white film maybe two or three. And note that one day in a hot summer car can ruin film, in or out of date. Three years is not all that much for Tri-X. (It is for TMax 3200 and Delta 3200, though.)

Note that amateur film is aged before it is sold. Your "new" film is about a year old, and two or three before it is out of date.

As well as I know, there is no new TX220, though.

I would bring a digital camera, where the important shots would go.

If it is only ordinarily important, you are probably fine. If it is "once in a lifetime" important, get new film.

When I was young, I also learned about matching batch numbers (usually for color film).

That was to reduce variation between rolls. My dad did it before a trip to Europe.

-- glen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I recently have been processing both fresh tmax 35mm and 8 year old tri-x. The tmax is rich with all values, with a clear base. My client’s film consistently has opaquing in it’s base, resulting in milky blacks. I quipped to him that he must’ve been storing it in the oven. He just says it’s old.I don’t shoot 35 mm normally, but it was fun using his Leica for three weeks.

I recently have been processing both fresh tmax 35mm and 8 year old tri-x. The tmax is rich with all values, with a clear base. My client’s film consistently has opaquing in it’s base, resulting in milky blacks. I quipped to him that he must’ve been storing it in the oven. He just says it’s old.I don’t shoot 35 mm normally, but it was fun using his Leica for three weeks.

Normally 35mm film has a gray base, and 120 a clear base.

The gray base helps with antihalation, but also light piping.

When loading with the tongue sticking out, light can follow down the film like a fiber optic light pipe.

A uniform gray doesn't change anything, except for needing a little more exposure.

It is not so easy to tell looking at the negatives, between a gray base and a small amount of fog.

-- glen