Expired Reala Print Film

Hello all,

I came across three rolls of Fujicolor Superia Reala 100 in the back of my fridge. They expired in July of 2011. I am going to try it out, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for exposure, processing, etc ... .

The last time I processed film, I brought it to my local Costco, but they don't offer film developing now. I was thinking about trying a mailer from Dwayne's. Any thoughts on that?

From what I can remember, the film has been in the fridge most of these past 9 or 10 years -

Thanks for any advice

-P.

Dwayne's has a decent reputation, so probably a good choice. Being 9 years out of date isn't helpful, but your film will probably give you acceptable results--just be sure to warm it up to room temperature before loading your camera.

I use Dwayne's Photo for all the color and black & white film photos I post here, mostly in the CMC forum. They have always done a good job for the price and still process vintage and legacy film formats (APS, 110, 126, etc.) so they have plenty of experience dealing with expired films.

Color film is often fine for a good few years past its expiration date if cold-stored, though I wouldn't rely on it for anything too important. I often use expired film for testing cameras. If you're unsure about exposures, you can always bracket shots.

Edited by m42dave

With Dwayne's it is more economical to mail in multiple rolls. For domestic orders, they only charge an extra 50 cents shipping/handling for each additional roll.

For many people, that should work. I am now averaging about one roll/year, so that doesn't work so well.

I am hoping that nearby labs stay open.

-- glen

Color negative films always do well with a little more exposure. I usually round up the aperture, even though it doesn't need to be on whole stops.

If you are out in the sun, maybe a half stop or so more.

It isn't so old for refrigerated film, but it is still possible that the color balance will be off.

But then you correct that in printing or scanning. You might notice the difference.

Old reversal films are much more of a problem, but I have some of those in the fridge, too.

-- glen