Experience with new GITZO GT0530

inspiration point studio

Has anyone come across the new Gitzo GT0530 carbon 6x tripod? The specs says

it's better than the old G1057 (supports heavier load). I'm looking for a light

weight tripod to be used on long hikes. Heaviest load will probably be a M6/75mm

combo or a mid size camcorder.

By the way, if you're interested in the new 2007 Gitzo catalog, here's the link

to one. There are a lot of new models:

www.photonews.ca/resources/GITZO%202007%20catalogue.pdf

Using a Gitzo 10xx with a video camera is likely to make your audience sea-sick. When a 1340 won't do the job, I use a 1504. I'm kinda' old-fashioned - I think the subject should do most of the moving.

Still photography with short lenses (i.e., a 75) is less critical. Still, a load rating is a minimum spec - so the tripod won't collapse under the weight of the camera. The bigger the tripod, the steadier it will hold the camera, as long as you are willing to carry it and use it. You might want to get a RRS plate to put the tripod socket on the M6 where it belongs - under the lens.

I also think GT0530 is a little too wobbly for your cameras.

Even though the rated maximum weight is heavy enough, light and thin tripods are prone to be shaken by the wind. I once used my basalt G1297 with my Nikon D2H and 28mm lens combo (which is well within the safety range of this tripod's rated weight) on a levee in a windy day. The shutter speed was 1/30 or 1/15 sec and I had to retract the lowest leg to reduce the vibration caused by the wind.

Mamiya 6 is one of the most vibration-free camera but none of the Gitzo 0-series tripod would be a good choice for the field use. I'm not video shooter but the movie would look as if the camcorder was mounted on a machine drill:-)

Sorry for the confusion. But I still doubt if GT0530 is good for your purpose. Gitzo's 0 series carbon tripods feel surprisingly sturdy for their size, but if the tripod is too light, it can be easily shaken by the wind with a relatively heavy (M6/75 combo weighs more than 1kg) weight on top of it regardless of the maximum load capacity.

When I used my Basalt G1297 (max. load 4.5kg) with Nikon D2H/28mm (weighs about 1.5kg) combo on a levee on a windy day, I had to retract the lower section of the legs to minimize the vibration caused by the wind.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am considering gt0530 or gt1530 for mountain hikes with Canon 20D and lenses like 10-22, 17-85 and 70-200 f4.

I am prepared to take some compromise on stability for reduced weight.

Does anybody have experience with 0530, 1530 or similar?

Would appreciate the info.

• 2 months later...

I have a Gitzo G0057 (the precursor to the GT0530) with a Really Right Stuff BH-25. For the last year, it'd done me wonders. Currently I use it with a Pentax K10D up to 200mm. I leave enabled the CCD-shift shake reduction and perhaps this is a supplement to the tripod, but my photos come out well time after time.

I've backpacked many miles with this setup, I say go for it. It's light enough to stick thru your belt and grab it at need.