Experience w Canon Radio Trigger speed light 600ex-rt and ST-E3-RT?

dan_south

To those who have used the (relatively) new 600ex-rt in radio trigger mode, how do you like the performance? Any issues or misfires?

How is the user interface - straightforward and easy to use, or cumbersome and confusing?

How about battery life and recycle times? Any overheating issues?

Thanks in advance!

<p>Dan, I've nearly abandoned my PW gear after getting a few 600EX-RTs and an ST-E3-RT. The ST-E3-RT has an identical user interface, so learning it is a breeze. I've shot a couple of weddings using the radio capabilities - no misfires...they just work like they should. Obstructions?...no problem. </p>

<p>While I still like the PWs, I have, on occasion, had a misfire or two when conditions were good and they should have worked. But they have been very reliable statistically speaking. </p>

<p>The new interface is much more informative. The custom functions have pictograms to demonstrate visually what they are for. Firing groups of flashes is easy and everything can be set right from the camera (well, at least from the 5DIII; not sure about others). </p>

<p>The inclusion of a filter holder and two CTO filters was a nice touch. If you need to change the flash color, the two CTOs come in handy. On occasion, when I'm shooting flowers and other macro work, I use a Sto-Fen diffuser. The Sto-Fen for the 580 will NOT fit the 600, but they do make one for the 600.</p>

<p>I picked up a couple of refurbed units from Canon's website store. Good price and I literally can't tell the refurbs from the new one I purchased. My overall opinion of the new 600EX-RT is very good. I think you will like this new flash and radio control.</p>