Experience using 120 Konica IR 720nm film

eugene_crumpler

I recently purchased a number of rolls of 120 Konica Infared film. I have not used this film before, but have used Kodak IR in 35mm. I have been instructed by a member of my club to use Rodinal at 50:1 for 61/2 minutes @ 68F(manual tank inversion) to reduce contrast. He exposes at an estimated E.I. 16 through an orange filter. The question is has anyone have any experience with this film and how did you develop it? Has anyone got any tricks to keep the contrast down on this film(e.i. development, pre-exposure, etc).

<p>

Thanks

Gene Crumpler

Although I've shot only a few (10-12) rolls, so far I've had good results from this film. It does not have quite the extended range of the Kodak HIE. My exposures through a #87 filter were blank, but #23 and #29 filters look good. I use an incident meter and bracket my exposures between EI 32 and 50 (with no adjustment for the filters) and have been processing it exactly the same as Kodak Plus-X (a trick I stumbled into a while ago that has saved me from endless and tiresome explanations at my local lab).

Works for me.

Good luck.

I have exposed at least 50 rolls of Konica 750 medium format film with excellent results. When I first used it the contrast gave me some trouble. With testing I realized that it needed more exposure and less development to get an extended range. I use an exposure index of 6 with a #25 (red) filter. I first used HC110 to develop it and started with dilution B (1:31 from concentrate). This gave too much contrast. I finally got down to a 1:100 dilution at 68 degrees for 6 minutes. Lately I have been using TMax developer at 1:15 dilution (the usual dilution is 1:4) at 75 degrees for 8 minutes in a Jobo processor. I should add that I am shooting only in open shade and that if you are shooting in sunlight I would suggest cutting the develpment time down to about 5 minutes. If you have any more questions about using this wonderful film please feel free to contact me.