EXIF viewer

Javier Gutierre

<p>The free NX-D does the same - shows metadata and focus points, but not by default. Those options have to be selected from the Window and Image menus respectively. And BTW, the focus point will be inaccurate if you've used the "focus and re-compose" method. The focus rectangle shown will be the one(s) used when the shutter half-press or AE-lock was operated, but not necessarily where in the subject focus was actually taken from.</p>

<p>I use EXIF Viewer for IOS. I notice with the same lens, sometimes the information about which lens is used is there, sometimes it is not. The focal length, aperture, shutter speed, VR, AF information are always there.<br>

Any idea why the lens ID is spotty?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>And BTW, the focus point will be inaccurate if you've used the "focus and re-compose" method. The focus rectangle shown will be the one(s) used when the shutter half-press or AE-lock was operated, but not necessarily where in the subject focus was actually taken from.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Joe, you have me confused. If you focus (lock focus) and recompose, then focus is actually determined by the point selected prior to re-framing. It seems to me that is the point which should be of interest. Can you clarify?</p>

<p>I suppose what is meant above is that if you focus and recompose, then what is in the square is not what was focused on, and there is no indication of what was focused on. It could even be out of the picture.</p>

<p>Adding to the confusion, at least on some models, is that, at least on the D3200 when using the back button, it appears that the focus square disappears if you recompose in AFS or AFA mode. I have not gone through all the possible combinations here, but if you focus with the back button, it seems recomposing will remove the focus square except in AFC. </p>

<p>Too late to edit the above, but just for the record, at least on the D3200, the focus square remains in the picture (and at its original viewfinder, not focus, point) when recomposing using shutter button focus.</p>

<p>Behavior with back button focus is variable. If you continue to press the button when recomposing, it behaves normally. If you let go of the button when recomposing, it always disappears in AFS, but remains in AFC for the first shot after focusing and disappears for subsequent shots if you don't refocus.</p>

<p>For some reason no focus points showed up for the D7100 in my version of View NX2, but a later excursion into Capture NXD suggests that it behaves the same, erasing the square when recomposing with the back button. It makes sense that the camera interprets letting go of the button as reverting to manual focus, but I don't know why it makes an exception for AFC.</p>