Exhibition

<p>I'll be exhibiting some prints at an art school open house in a couple of weeks. I have a mix of portraits, flowers, still life and street. Prints are mostly B&W ranging from 11x14 to 20x24. I'd appreciate advice on whether or not to mix and match genres, b&w and color, etc. Most of the prints I'm considering are represented on my photo.net gallery. Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>IW</p>

<p>Hi Iverson,<br>

I can only respond as someone who visits local exhibitions (like the one you're exhibiting at) now and then. Personally, I prefer to see some from of composition/structure in the way photos are displayed. For example, some groups of "people photos" together and then further along/below/above groups of "flower photo's". I think you're the best person to decide what the best groups should be. Obvious choices per group are color/BW and/or subject. Perhaps there are also photos that can act as "bridges" between groups.<br>

Be interested to find out what others think.<br>

Mike</p>

Hi, Iverson, I agree with Mike, groups by genre (generally), mix of b&w and color.

When I exhibit, I try to mix colors, textures, and hardness. In my last exhibit of photos of

Ireland, I realized that all the photos I'd chosen were of rocks: rock facade on passage tomb,

rock castle, rock shoals, Giant's Causeway rocks. Okay, not everybody likes rocks as much

as I do, so I switched some of the rocks for softer images of seascapes and green landscapes

to break it up and to add variety.

In your gallery, three of the portraits have the subject in the righthand side of the frame. If you

want to exhibit those portraits, you may choose to hang those three together, emphasizing the

composition. Or you may want to break them up by inserting the other two (or others) in

place(s) that make sense to you.

I go through many iterations of an exhibit, laying out prints on a desk, arranging and re-

arranging until they look right and fit the exhibit space. It usually takes a couple of days to get

it right. Then, when it's time to hang the exhibit, I know exactly where each one should go.

Keep us posted on the exhibit. Have fun! --Sally