Exhibition hanging height question

<p>I'm hanging some of my pictures in a local coffee house. They will be on one long wall and one short wall. I'm hanging about 15 16" X 20" framed pictures on the long wall. The images will all be 10" X 15", both landscape and portrait orientations.</p>

<p>Should I hang the pictures so they are all at the same height 1. at the center or 2. at the top (i.e., top-aligned or center-aligned)?</p>

<p>And at what height? My eye height is about 67", but not everyone is 6' tall.</p>

<p><Chas></p>

<p>Museum standard is 60 inches from the floor to the center of the picture. I find this works well and looks good generally. In a retail environment this might need to be adjusted since there are store fixtures that may interfere.</p>

<p>Are you expecting people to view these primarily while standing (in line, or walking around to see them) or sitting?</p>

<p>Do you want people to feel like they're looking up to see them, or looking straight at/into them, or looking down? This may affect their emotional response.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Centered on 60" is the norm, as Ben indicated.<br>

If your work varies a great deal in size, the arrangement can mystify people as to what you did. For a stack (over under) arrangement for smaller work, center them on 60" also. Makes a pretty impressive but subtle display.<br>

The only time I've ever deviated from this arrangements was with a large still life exhibition... for which I aligned the paintings' table edge at 50"... this delivered a comparable result.</p>

<p>The space is a room in a coffee house with tables, couches, high table & stools, and standing space. All the frames will be the same size, 16" X 20" with the only variation being landscape or portrait.</p>

<p>60" center line height sounds like a good enough number.</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p><Chas></p>

<p>As you're not hanging in a museum...<br>

Try looking at each wall as a composition. Then the whole space as a composition. The furniture ..the light..the colour...will all make demands on your choice.<br>

Imagine..as you may when exposing..the whole image. The more effort you put in..the better the result.</p>

<p>Just an added note... although "eye level" of 60" is low, consider that older viewers - with money and bifocals - will have to tilt their heads back in order to see anything hung up higher, so that would quash some avenue of potential sales. While I don't believe museums hang at the level they do for that crowd, it must come into play.<br>

Since you'll be hanging in areas where people sit, you definitely want the work to not be so low that heads are leaning against the work (I know that sounds like a contradiction to what I just suggested, but it's still something to consider).</p>

<p>Another important thing for consideration is to watch for reflections, especially from outside windows. Height and angle of view will have a great effect in this respect. I try to have all frames at an equal height at the bottom of the frames whether portrait or landscape. If a frame is hung at a table or booth, I try for the best viewing while seated.</p>