Excited but want suggestion....

liljuddakalilknyttphotogra

Yes I'm excited. My very first Nikon was a black Nikon FM. I had two of them & both were stolen - - one out of my

apartment while I was taking my dog for a walk (they removed the window somehow...) & the second one on a plane

while traveling with my then four month old daughter. Mother-in-law was in charge of my camera, but she forgot it

on the plane & I didn't realize it until the next day.

Anyhow, last night on eBay I decided to buy a mint FM & I'm excited about it. I've even bought an eyepiece for

it. Now, I really want it primarily for nostalgic reasons & I have a 50mm f/1.2 for it. But it's a great camera &

I have some film for prints. So I'd like to pick up one more lens. I'm thinking maybe a 24, 28 or 35mm - - but do

I have to buy a MF lens? I'm presuming I can get a AF lens so I can use it with the other cameras as well (N90s,

D200 & D300).

Am I lost or correct in this?

To those celebrating Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving

Lil :-)

Thanks Michael, Phil, Oscar & Ronald. I'm bidding on a 105mm f/2.5 AiS on eBay right now. Found a few & especially one I like the looks of.

I like the old Ai & AiS lenses - one of the reasons I got the 50mm f/1.2 - - & they work well with the D200 & D300 as well.

I will look for a 35mm as well....

Thanks

Get an AI/AIS lens. While an AF lens will work, manually focusing an AF lens is not quite the same experience.

Get a 24mm/2.8 (AI has longer focus throw than the AIS) or a 28mm/2.8 AIS (NOT the AI)

On the longer end, get the 105mm/2.5 AI/AIS.

My Nikon SLR kit: FM3A, 24/2.8 AIS, ZF 50/1.4 and 105/2.5. I also have an FM2N and 50/1.4 AI.

I hate to use AF lenses with MF cameras. The 24/2.8AF focus ring has a not-so-good feel in comparison with MF

versions, but usable. What is really ugly is the aperture ring. Don`t try it.

I agree with Keith: from the 24s, my favourite is the Ai version. Sadly, althought seems to share optics with the AFD,

performance is not the same. Perhaps older coatings, dust or whatever; my Ai sample is a bit softer. On the Ai, that

longer throw is great for prefocused shots. Check the clear coloured DoF marks. Also, the Ai black paint will match

the FM paint, thought. Some later AiS versions have a different texture (I`m sorry, I`m a freak, I know).

If 24 is too wide or want a better performer, I`d go for the 28/2.8, AiS version. Optics are different.<div>00RczI-92749584.jpg.d01cc85c6b9eb6aad81bd8c958cc7c83.jpg</div>

I would not even consider putting an AF lens on a manual focus camera except for a few zooms or "special" lenses. The focussing mechanism of an AF lens is far too sloppy, the focus throw is often very short, the focus ring is usually too thin and they just don't feel right.

Get an AI or AIS lens - I'm certain you will be much happier than using any AF lens. Don't worry too much about buying AIS versions rather than AI, except for the 28mm f2.8. This is optically better than the AI-only, but the difference between AI & AIS matters much less for most other Nikkor prime lenses.

Lil Judd -

With regard to the 28mm AIS - make sure it's the one that focuses to 0.2 meters, not 0.3. See Bjorn Rorslet's page. http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2_PC.html ... there are sig. differences.

... It is the sharpest lens I own, bar none. [ poor amateur here :-) ] I use it on my D200 and Nikon F4s all the time. I also procured the 35mm AIS 1.4, and concur that it needs to be at 2.8 or 4.0 to be a razor, esp on the D200 for some reason. Soon I hope to get an FM2n and have some fun, it's been too long since my F2 died, RIP. Happy selection!

Jim M.

Lil,

When my brother talked me into getting my first SLR and two lenses, I got an FG, a 75-150mm E and a 35mm f2.0 AF. I still have all of them. The 35mm ( non D ) is just fine to focus with a manual camera. It doesn't quite feel like the other AIS lenses I have, but there is no reason so avoid it at all. It has a shorter throw, but that means getting in focus faster.

Sorry for getting back to you all - Thanksgiving got in the way :-)

Thanks for the feedback David, Jim, Owen, Dave & John. I appreciate your comments.

Jim, I will make sure I check Bjorn Rorslet's page on the lenses.

Owen - - I'll get in contact with you.

Dave - - interesting comment on the Tamron vs Nikon. Sounds unusual.

John - - thanks for the suggestions.

More research to do...

Thanks - - and to all who celebrate Thanksgiving - -

Happy Thanksgiving from me to you

Althought it has been mentioned many times, to the best of my knowledge there isn`t a 28/2.8AiS version who focus close to 0.3meters... never. There is <b>only one version</b>, who focus close up to 0.2. The ones who focus up to 0.3 are the previous <b>Ai and K</b> and and later <b>AF</b> versions.